Page 1 of 1

UNDERWATER PROBLEMS!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:11 am
by MustLoveTurtles
Hi! I was referred here with the suggestion that Yellow Slider care is parallel to a Red Ear Slider's care. If that is the case, I need some help.

I recently bought a Yellow Slider in Florida after having wanted one for six years. :)

Reading about this kind of turtle, I found that you needed to provide adequate above water space for them to lounge and bask on... After providing him with adequate space.. My turtle choose to spend his time underwater- if he decides to come up for "air"- he is hanging onto his aquatic plants and holding his head out of water for a minute or two.

His behavior does not parallel the typical turtle behavior listed on many websites- Does anyone have any input or experience stories to offer?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:51 am
by jozzep
Are you providing him proper a heat lamp and UVB lighting on top of his basking area?
The heat light is what entices him to bask.
Please visit the main site and do a little more reading on "turtle care".

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:41 am
by BullDog
Welcome! YBS have basically the same care as RES, so you came to the right place!
How long have you had him? Turtles can take anywhere from a week to a month to get comfortable with their new surroundings. If you've got everything he needs set up, then in time, he should start to bask.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:28 am
by mikee
Must L-T -- After he gets aquaintned with his surroundings he may come out more. If you want to encourage him lower the water temp. a little and check the basking temp. They like the difference and will bask more.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:19 pm
by MustLoveTurtles
Answers:

I have a standard basking light but since there is a lack of pet stores near my hometown, I am looking online for a specific one.

I have had him for three weeks. :) He is wonderful, very active, and very fun to watch.

I have tried lowering the temperature in hopes of luring him out of water but he refuses- the only time he does decided to get of water is on a semi-submerged Lofa that floats above the water, he normally uses this to dive, which happens to be his favorite hobby...

Perhaps after I get a more powerful basking light- he will be more inclined.

I will keep you updated on Gustave. Thanks for the help :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:46 pm
by mikee
Must L-T When I say lower the temp I mean slowly down from 77 to 76, 75 and so on. The basking temp should be around 90 to 91 degrees with uvb lighting also. It will be a slow process. It may take a new turtle from a few months to a year to get accustomed to you and the new surroundings. The last two ybs I got took over a year to get use to their new home. m.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:53 pm
by MustLoveTurtles
Gustave basked today! Well, not really basked but on one part of the cage, I bought a new 15watt Aquarium light bulb and he sat on his floating landmass and "basked".. Of course, he is not on his land basking, but I will take a victory where I can. :)