Page 1 of 1

How do I change the substrate?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:30 am
by Jeff
I have rocks on the bottom of my tank(they are not pebbles, but larger rocks, not quit river rock though). Anyways, I want to take the rock out and put river rock in. How do I go about this? I know I'm not suppose to do an entire water change right? So what is the easiest method you all would suggest for getting all the rocks out and putting in the new ones...thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:37 pm
by papoopeepoo
those five fingered tools known as your hands....remember to wash up before and after you work on the tank.

other than that, i'd imagine some kind of small shovel with slots for water to pass through would work.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:16 pm
by bover907
When I had to do a major overhaul on my tank setup, I just let the guy relax in a rubbermaid tote with some of the original aquarium water in it. I had the kids give him a couple pellets to keep him happy while I did the bulk of the work in the tank. Try to retain as much of your clean aquarium water as you can before taking the rocks out and cleaning the tank.

He was at home in his new setup within an overnight. Finished just before bed time, and an hour after turning the lights on in the morning, he was basking and haveing a good time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:02 am
by untsmurf
You don't need to empty your tank. Just reach in and pull stuff out. If your turtle isn't used to you maintaining the tank, just put them in a separate container while you're working. I usually use a cat box scooper (bought for this purpose) to shovel up the gravel.

When you're adding rocks, make sure they're clean. Then make sure the turtle is safe, then place the rocks on the bottom of the tank. Don't drop them from the top because you might crack your tank.

I recommend not adding that many rocks. They take up swimming space and trap debris between them, dirtying up your tank a lot faster while maintaining a clean appearance.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:09 pm
by Jeff
Thanks for the help! I'm going to try and savor as much of the tank water as possible, and I'm going to replace the rocks with sand. Seems like sand would be easier to clean.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:17 pm
by mikee
Jef – I went through the sand thing years ago. Trying to scoop or siphon poop out is a pain. If you have a good way to clean the sand, that is great. If you get algae in or around the sand it is really a problem. Good Luck! m.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:28 am
by adam85491
I just scoop poop or fish remains off the bottom with a net, and I have 2 hang on filters, and so far my water has been clear. I'm guessing if you maintain the tank well you won't have algae in the sand for a long time, and if you do, just take the infected sand out and see if it works, if not, take it out and add new sand.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:11 pm
by untsmurf
I had sand as well and got algae on it. I never had any algae problem until I put sand in the tank. I ended up removing all the sand and I'm still battling the algae.

From what I hear, others have had great success with it. I suggest some adding some colored sand, it'll look cooler!