Page 1 of 1

Methods to Cleaning glass tanks - advice PLEASE!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:01 pm
by wilso720
I hope this is the right "section" for this


I have read numerous times that a vinegar solution is best for cleaning the pesky white residue inside a tank. I was just curious if there were any other options that people have been successful with because I cant seem to get the vinegar solution to work...maybe I am doing something wrong.

I recently rescued a [now] 4 week old hatchling. I went to my parents house today to get the small tank for the little guy and the white residue was once again back, I must not have cleaned it well enough before storing it.
Oscar, my new guy, is currently in a itty bitty 1 gal kriter tank as a temp until I could get this guy.


Will I be fine just giving the 10gal a good hot rinse and scrub down with a new sponge or should I wait for the vinegar?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:35 pm
by Kemul
To get rid of mineral build up, you can use razor blade or paint scraper to scrap
it off. It's only for glass tank, though. You'll ruin acrylic tank.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:35 pm
by SpenceMasta
i use salt to scrub with to act as an abrasive

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:42 pm
by jozzep
An algae brush,hot water ,and decent amount of elbow grease should do it.But crusty spots can be eliminated with a flat razor blade.Just keep it wet.
I never used vinegar but i heard many do.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:11 pm
by Twilite25
I use the vinegar solution but I wipe it with newspaper instead of a rag and that works well for mineral deposits on my tank.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:06 pm
by rsour24
what i did since my whoel tank was white
and u couldnt see throughwhen i got it(got it for free shoudl have taken pics)
i scrapped it with a paint scrapper till i got all i ould off
rinsed it
used a clear and cleaned it
rinsed it
used pure clr
rinsed it like 3-4 times and let it dry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:06 pm
by Mech Cb
I don't know what it is about newspaper, but that stuff does work good. I use it for my windows on my truck. Never even thought to use it on the tank....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:28 pm
by Twilite25
Yeah I don't know either, but my Mom use to use it to clean windows too, that's why I tried it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:57 pm
by holidae
It's not easy, but if you want all those water spots off, use a razor blade.