Page 1 of 1

Where can I get large stones for the bottom of the tank?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:29 pm
by beaner
I noticed that Pepe is eating his gravel! I am using the same gravel from his old tank (I recently upgraded) in this tank. I contacted his prior owner and she said he's always done that and it's no big deal. Well, he is passing them, but I am sure that cannot be good for him. This poor turtle was sooooo not taken care of. The more I find out about the last 4 years of his life, the more irritated I am with his former owner! I took out the small gravel, but do want to have something on the bottom of the tank for aesthetic reasons.

I have gone to 5 fish/pet stores seeking big stones like the size of his head, and no one carries it. Does anyone know of an online place where I can order some?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:33 pm
by Sraustin
Well, if you have access to them....Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot all carry a selection of rocks/stones. Much cheaper than buying them from a pet store.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:25 pm
by BullDog
Yes, you can get them from a hardware type store, or sometimes even a dollar store.
Though I've never bought rocks. I collected all of mine from beaches and such. If you collect them from outside, give them a good scrub to get the big stuff off, then boil them in a big pot for about 20 minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:10 pm
by blackforces get you
some pet stores might have them too...but most of the time its gravel WHICH YOU SHOULD NOT GET.

you can go out and find these stones and rocks if you want like bulldog said. thats what i did

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:44 pm
by rsour24
home depot or lowes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:53 am
by Kemul
Take a walk to a nearby stream, perhaps? Try to boil or clean the rock really well
before putting it in the tank.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:38 pm
by beaner
I live in the city of Chicago. We don't have rocks or streams. ;) I'll check out Home Depot. I don't shop at Walmart for ethical reasons, but, hopefully, Home Depot will have some, I didn't think about that. Thanks!