Page 1 of 1

Silica sand safe for turtle?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:08 pm
by atagtmeier
i have been doing some research on sand and it seems like silica sand is a safe sand to use in an aquarium. I read somewhere that it is generally a cleaner sand, expecially when the sand gets sturred up. But I figured I would run the idea thru here and see what some people say. 55 gallon tank, looking at about 40 lbs of sand to get a little over an inch of sand on the bottom. Possible gonna go for 2 inches to hide the bubble wands and all that fun stuff. The sand I found only comes in 100lb bags and is a $8.00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:09 pm
by thegrandpoohbah
I wouldn't do it. Silica sand is usually sold for sand blasting and is probably too sharp. Not a big deal for fish but your turtle is more likely to ingest some of it. Try play sand or pool filter sand instead.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:14 am
by MoreBloodWine
Pool filter sand might be better since they tend to use a fine grade sand for pool filters. Dont get me wrong play sand is a fine grade to but I think the pool sand is a finer (less rough) grade.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:24 pm
by atagtmeier
i am noticing that the play sand also has larger pieces of rock. I started picking some of it out but i keep finding more and more.