Page 1 of 1

Tank cover/lid?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:59 am
by kissiffer4
Hi,

Trying to pick out a cover/lid for my 10 gallon tank and have so far found the following:

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/rep ... with-door/

Is this a good choice? I want something that will allow the UVA & UVB rays to get through. Advice much appreciated.

Also, I have an Aqueon full hood for the tank that came with a fluorescent light. Is there a UVB light/lamp that I can get to replace the one that came with the hood (I think it is non UVB).

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:59 pm
by BullDog
I've seen those ones in person, and the mesh is quite fine, so I don't think much UV light would get through.

I recommend egg crate, also called light diffuser. You can get it in big sheets at most hardware stores, it's inexpensive (usually not more than $12/sheet), and it's easy to cut to any size you want.

There are tube UVB fluorescents that come in many sizes, so you should be able to find one for your canopy. Just make sure there's no glass between the bulb and your turtle's basking area.

Here's what they'll look like (there are different brands out there)
http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/rep ... -uvb-bulb/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:07 am
by kissiffer4
Brilliant! Thanks for the info BullDog. I'll pick up one of those lights right away. So what I think I will do with the tank is place the strip light cover thingy over half of the tank (how much space it takes up) and for the other open half use egg crate to keep it covered (and the cats out haha). I have an existing clip lamp that I can position to shine through the egg crate half.

How does that sound?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:56 pm
by BullDog
You'll want to make sure the UVB and light for heat are both directed over the basking area, since it's the heat that entices the turtle to bask. As long as you've got it set up that way, you'll be golden.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:08 pm
by kissiffer4
Cheers BullDog. Makes sense. Found this setup online and he seems to have a similar thing going on with the strip light:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/egg% ... C09591.jpg