Habitat - Indoor :: Filter for 100 gallon Rubbermaid

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:11 pm   Re: Filter for 100 gallon Rubbermaid

Yep, that's exactly what I'm doing. I'm putting a filter inside some container

Question though. I ordered a replacement plug, I'm sure that's why it leaked. It was screwed on crooked!!!
But which tool did you use to unscrew and screw the plug kit? I couldn't use a wrench or anything at all so I pried it off the tank while destroying it.

So what tool do I use to tighten it once the new plug comes?

Thank you)))) calmed down)))))

I still don't understand what you said about the filter being plugged in low and stuff but I will ask all the questions once the filter comes.

It's so amazing being able to ask questions here))))
Lalachka

Post Posted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:14 pm   Re: Filter for 100 gallon Rubbermaid

Also, you said you replaced it with a better one. How do I know which is better and where do I buy it? I ordered this one from amazon

Rubbermaid Commercial FG505012 Stock Tank Drain Plug Kit Rubbermaid Commercial Products http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HHQ7SK/ref ... Ctb11X1D7R
Lalachka

Post Posted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:53 pm   Re: Filter for 100 gallon Rubbermaid

On the filter, I think I can explain what Kansasslider meant. The FX6 is a big canister. It can end up with air trapped in it. Perhaps a bubble gets sucked in the intake, there's a loose seal that's drawing air in somewhere, maybe some of the bacteria are producing gas.

That air makes it noisy. Worse, it reduces its efficiency, it's ability to pump water. So, it has a feature where it will shut itself off, allowing those air bubbles to migrate upwards and then get expelled when it turns back on. Since aquariums are higher up than your Rubbermaid, there's quite a bit of water pressure inside the canister to force it up the tube.

I think what Kansasslider is saying is when he had his return outlet too low in the water, that air wasn't getting purged well. He's just suggesting having the return outlet near or at the water surface.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:07 am   Re: Filter for 100 gallon Rubbermaid

Thank you ljapa that's what I was saying. Here is the link to the drain. If you buy a better one you will have to cut a hole using a hole saw that fits on your drill. They might make them the same size as the factory one. Not sure. Here.is the link.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=35172&start=15
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:20 pm   Re: Filter for 100 gallon Rubbermaid

Oh, now I got it))))
I wasn't going to fill my tank all the way either. But I will deal with the filter problems after I fix the leaks. So more to come))))

But now the fitting. I ordered another plug from amazon for $25. The heavy duty one you have there costs $7. What am I missing?

Also, what tool do you use to replace these? A wrench? It doesn't work, just messed up the plastic
Lalachka

Post Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:24 pm   Re: Filter for 100 gallon Rubbermaid

Also, what's a bulkhead fitting? How's that different from what's on your pic?
Lalachka

Post Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:12 pm   Re: Filter for 100 gallon Rubbermaid

I think bulkhead is what the drain plug is called. Just used a large adjustable wrench.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:20 pm   Re: Filter for 100 gallon Rubbermaid

You might be able to find one the same size as the one in your tank. Shouldn't be more than 7-9$ Look at menards tractor supply etc. Send the one back to amazon.here is just one kind I found on line in about 10 seconds.

http://www.orschelnfarmhome.com/Orschel ... 12&offset=
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:52 pm   Re: Filter for 100 gallon Rubbermaid

If you're not going to use the drain and are going to build around the tank, maybe add a pond liner or plastic wrap just in case. Murphy's Law, y'know?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:31 pm   Re: Filter for 100 gallon Rubbermaid

I ordered another plug from amazon for $25. The heavy duty one you have there costs $7. What am I missing?[/quote]

The one from amazon is a rip off. They have free return shipping so just send it back and find a good one.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:53 pm   Re: Filter for 100 gallon Rubbermaid

Kansasslider wrote:You might be able to find one the same size as the one in your tank. Shouldn't be more than 7-9$ Look at menards tractor supply etc. Send the one back to amazon.here is just one kind I found on line in about 10 seconds.

http://www.orschelnfarmhome.com/Orschel ... 12&offset=

lol i already ordered one more from marine depot, looks much better, i did that before i saw your post.

i'm inpatient, when i wan something i want it then)))) so one from amazon might go back or i might keep it
they're both $25 each.

anyway, here's what i bought. i hope this is not a rip off))))

http://www.marinedepot.com/Double_Threaded_Bulkhead_(Schedule_80_Heavy_Duty)__Double_Threaded_Bulkheads-Plumbing_Parts-FT1141-FIFTBHDT-vi.html
Last edited by Lalachka on Tue May 13, 2014 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lalachka

Post Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:55 pm   Re: Filter for 100 gallon Rubbermaid

steve wrote:If you're not going to use the drain and are going to build around the tank, maybe add a pond liner or plastic wrap just in case. Murphy's Law, y'know?

lololo, you won't believe this but that's exacly what i'm doing. i will use the drain though. but i ordered a pond liner, then i will build a frame around it, about a foot high and line it with the liner))))))

i can't flood my neighbors again

but, i am a little concerned about all this weight sitting on my floor. i wish someone can reassure me that it will never cave in))))))

i also got a pump that will sit inside that thing i'm building and will hopefully pump out any water if it ever leaks
Lalachka

Post Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:59 pm   Re: Filter for 100 gallon Rubbermaid

I work in construction and there is no way I can tell you your floor will support it . However chances are pretty good if you distribute the weight over the floor joists. Most joists are run with the small part or skinny part of a home. Get it?
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:03 pm   Re: Filter for 100 gallon Rubbermaid

Kansasslider wrote:I work in construction and there is no way I can tell you your floor will support it . However chances are pretty good if you distribute the weight over the floor joists. Most joists are run with the small part or skinny part of a home. Get it?

lol nope, don't get it)))) what's a joist? what's a small part of the home? i'm in a building, i will never know which part is the skinny part
i do know that no one can tell me over the internet whether my floor will hold it or not, and even if they did i shouldn't trust it. just would be nice to dream that it's safe)))))

i put it right by the window, that means it's by the supporting wall, that should be ok, no?
the building codes are 40 lbs per sq ft, my stand is 5 by 3, so 15 sq ft. let's say all my stuff is 1500 lbs, then i'm about at 2,5 the limit.

so i know where i stand, just not what i want to hear
Lalachka

Post Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:56 pm   Re: Filter for 100 gallon Rubbermaid

I have a very important question. For 2 weeks now my turtle has been living in a small container with no basking and no light. How much longer can I push it?

And lots of stress from us coming in and out of the bathroom (container is sitting In the bathtub) And the sound of the water when we change his water. I'm afraid that by the time I'm done building I will have a dead turtle
Lalachka

PreviousNext

Return to Habitat - Indoor