Page 1 of 3
major water problem

Posted:
Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:02 pm
by Kansasslider
Hey guys I need some help here! Two days ago I noticed the water getting kinda cloudy and today its really bad and there is a clear slime on everything in the tank. What caused this and how do I fix it. Nothing has changed in the tank. Just did a large water change last weekend. What a mess!!
Re: major water problem

Posted:
Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:08 pm
by steve
What kind of slime? Could it be a lot of loose stool?
Re: major water problem

Posted:
Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:17 pm
by Kansasslider
No steve its not stool. You can't see it but its on everything. My maxi jet stopped working yesterday but I don't think that did it? Kinda reminds me of new tank Syndrome.
Re: major water problem

Posted:
Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:24 pm
by steve
I don't what would cause that much slime over a couple of days. Maxi jet was just for extra circulation? That might cause a little surface slime but not so much that quickly. When in doubt, do a water change

Re: major water problem

Posted:
Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:41 pm
by Kansasslider
Not having a good day!
Re: major water problem

Posted:
Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:47 pm
by steve
I know, sorry to hear about it.
Re: major water problem

Posted:
Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:53 am
by Kansasslider
Could it be a mini cycle with that much slime? Wouldn't all my established substrate keep that from happening? I cleaned my filter last night and everything in it was Slimy. I'm doing a water change right now.
Re: major water problem

Posted:
Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:56 am
by steve
I never really notice my tanks cycle, and when they do it's usually just cloudy. I've never noticed slime. Could this be an algae bloom? Maybe the temps are getting too warm, lack of oxygen, etc.
Re: major water problem

Posted:
Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:04 am
by Kansasslider
Could be since my maxi jet stopped working. Everything else is the same. Temps etc.
Re: major water problem

Posted:
Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:04 am
by steve
The slime have any color or smell to it?
Re: major water problem

Posted:
Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:26 am
by Kansasslider
No the water doesn't stink and from what I can tell the slime is clear. Ordered a new maxi jet this morning. Fish and turtles are fine just has me concerned. Something is going on just not sure what?
Re: major water problem

Posted:
Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:58 pm
by steve
No idea, very weird situation.
Re: major water problem

Posted:
Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:27 pm
by Kansasslider
Well I always say I'm a fan of overfiltration. I just hooked up one of my spare fx5's in desperation to get this under control. I guess with all my turtles it was overdue anyway.
Re: major water problem

Posted:
Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:45 pm
by steve
Wish we had a way to analyze whatever that was.
Re: major water problem

Posted:
Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:57 am
by Kansasslider
Water looks a little better this morning. How often do you think I can do a partial water change? I'm not sure what caused it? The only thing that changed was the maxi jet not working. Water change yesterday helped some.
