Habitat - Indoor :: Large Habitat Lighting

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:58 pm   Large Habitat Lighting

Hello turtle superiors,

First time turtle owner here. My babes are about 9 years old now ( had them from near-birth.)

We are currently in a 200g farm stock tank, with a very crude (yet effective) out-of-tank land enclosure complete with a log ramp.

I've recently fallen on a small financial grace, and want to utilize it to get my babes the penthouse of their dreams.

I'm currently looking at the waterland large tub enclosure, and upon looking up video reviews, I see a lot of users using 4' tube UVA / UVB lamps that span the entire enclosure. I'm a big fan and I definitely want to get into that type of lighting, but I'm unsure where to look for reliable reptile light sources, especially of that size ' shape.

Hope somebody can point me in the right direction. Any and all large enclosure tips welcomed.
Faded Porpoise

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:40 am   Re: Large Habitat Lighting

Welcome to the forum! You only need UVB over the basking area, as water block the turtle from absorbing any meaningful rays and only feeds algae growth. A (flood-style) mercury vapor bulb is what most people would use in this case.

How many turtles do you have? Any pics of the setup?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor