Habitat - Indoor :: New Fx4 but My Tank isn’t clear?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:24 am   New Fx4 but My Tank isn’t clear?

I bought an Fx4 for my 55 gallon tank in hopes of having a crystal clear Tank with much easier maintenance. But it’s been 4 days and it’s not clear at all. I had cleaner water with my $25 filter and $40 polisher. (Of course I had to do water changes every week) but I have new water now, so What gives? I am so confused. Please help because it was a lot of money. Thanks.
I have two Turtles. Age 2. The female is so big now I will have to get a new tank very soon. She might be 8 inches. I havnt measured. And a Big goldfish. No rocks. Basking on top.
Nykeegirll

Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:57 am   Re: New Fx4 but My Tank isn’t clear?

Is the water cloudy? What media do you have in there? If this is the first time you're using biomedia, it could just be cycling.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:21 am   Re: New Fx4 but My Tank isn’t clear?

Yes. It’s the First time I’ve used this kind of Media. I used what came with it. The only other filter I used before was those disposable cartridges with the little bit of carbon inside. And a Polisher with a bit of carbon as well. Is it going to take more than 4 days to cycle and all that? I just wait it out?
The water isn’t dirty as in there’s no food debris or anything but it’s not clear at all. It’s ugly. Yellowish. Normally the water would be this color because of debris. But there is none. I can see the tank is “clean”. It just doesn’t look good at all. I hope that explains it.
Nykeegirll

Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:10 am   Re: New Fx4 but My Tank isn’t clear?

I don't think there is a precise time of how long it takes. There are test kits to gauge how it's doing (nitrates/nitrites) but people normally wait it out. You can do a partial water change if the cloudiness concerns you. It's also possible the turtles just pooped alot once put into a newly cleaned tank, as both my turtles often do. When you clean the filter, put aside some tank water and gently rinse the bio media as it will preserve the beneficial bacteria on it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:04 am   Re: New Fx4 but My Tank isn’t clear?

I’ve cleaned the tank Many many many times over the last year. And this never happens. I don’t understand why it’s happening with a big expensive filter.
Nykeegirll

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:10 am   Re: New Fx4 but My Tank isn’t clear?

It takes time for the bacteria to colonize and establish. They sell products that jump start the process, but it just takes time. This is the recommended media layout for the fx5 viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30145#p288910
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:28 am   Re: New Fx4 but My Tank isn’t clear?

I have two 75 gal tubs for my two males. Each tub has a FX4 filter. And it keeps the water crystal clear.
I modified the media within the filter to include water polishing filter floss. You can find this at walmart (Quilting Batting)... comes as a long rolled up piece with in a clear plastic bag.
Cut the batting to fit within the second red basket (near bottom of filter).
it may need to be changed out every week until the water is clear... then you will only need to change it out every 2 weeks.

give it a try... it will work!
ManSo31

Return to Habitat - Indoor