Habitat - Indoor :: 150 Gal Aquariums and Up!

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:51 pm   150 Gal Aquariums and Up!

It's almost that time for an upgrade for my RES. Currently have a 75g and looking to get something around a 150 or even a 175. Having trouble finding aquariums that large and new online. Does anyone have any recommendations of where to buy new tanks that large?

Haven't looked into the used route much either. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments about buying used? Used scares me a bit because all it takes is a hair crack and then before you know it, we've got a flood.

Thanks for your input everyone!
Adamsv7

Post Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:19 am   Re: 150 Gal Aquariums and Up!

A popular place was glasscages.com a few years back. I'm looking to upgrade to a very large tank too, it's likely I will have to go to a custom builder and maybe get an acrylic one.

As for used... they can totally be worth it as long as the the rims are intact and there are no cracks. Usually they need cleaning and sometimes the silicone needs to be resealed. Either is not hard but can take some elbow grease and time.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:45 am   Re: 150 Gal Aquariums and Up!

steve wrote:A popular place was glasscages.com a few years back. I'm looking to upgrade to a very large tank too, it's likely I will have to go to a custom builder and maybe get an acrylic one.

As for used... they can totally be worth it as long as the the rims are intact and there are no cracks. Usually they need cleaning and sometimes the silicone needs to be resealed. Either is not hard but can take some elbow grease and time.

I was hoping the commercial sellers like PetSmart and Petco would have some bigger tanks but unfortunately that is not the case. In your experience for a RES would a longer tank be more suitable or a tall? I want to give them as much swimming room as possible so I was leaning more towards a wide. What's your take on this?
Adamsv7

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:44 pm   Re: 150 Gal Aquariums and Up!

http://www.petsmart.com has larger tanks too, though they are special order and options are probably limited. Will cost a bit more than direct. While RES are excellent swimmers, longer/wider is better than tall.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor