Habitat - Indoor :: Filter Question

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:01 am   Filter Question

Hey Everyone,

I hope you're all doing well during this pandemic and staying safe and healthy.

I have a filtration question today. I set up a new filter for Cecil today. Upgraded from a Penn Plax Cascade 1000 to the 1500. I know not everyone likes the Penn Plax filters but I find them pretty easy to use.

My question is about the media. The 1000 only has three media trays but the 1500 has FIVE media trays. What media should I put in and in what order? I've been trying to look online for tips but I'm striking out other than the usual "coarse, medium, fine". Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
J.
zana

Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:10 am   Re: Filter Question

Here is a recommended layout:

Coarse is for bigger waste particles, and fine will trap smaller ones0 If you only use fine, it will probably clog faster. So you can use any combo of them, but make it go into coarse first.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:28 pm   Re: Filter Question

Thanks!

I realized I already messed up in my haste last night. I should have saved some of her water instead of doing a full change. Today her water is cloudy even though this is a better filtration system. I'm assuming it's a "bloom" caused by all new media plus all new water. Sigh. I feel like I'm still constantly learning even though I've had her for years.

Do you have any advice in regards to the cloudy water? Just wait for it to sort itself out? Or is there anything I can or should do?
zana

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:18 am   Re: Filter Question

It usually sorts itself out quickly, but can be unpredictable. I usually do not save any water, just rinse out the bio media from the hose and keep it in tank water for a few hours until it's ready to go back into the filter.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor