Habitat - Indoor :: Use filter for gravel cleaning?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:18 am   Use filter for gravel cleaning?

Hi,
I just moved and reinstalled everything new for my turtle. I built supports for her tank in the basement below and moved her air and filter to the basement. I built a manifold in the cabinet under her tank for her filter supply water, make up water and a drain. The filter Suction goes straight to the tank. I can do water changes right at her tank without any further hoses needed. I was thinking about adding a connection for my gravel vacuum for when I clean her gravel. This would go the suction of the filter. Is this a good idea or should I keep using the sink to vacuum the gravel. Also, I have her makeup water running through 2 whole house filters piped in series. Each is a combination carbon and sediment filter but when I filled the tank up it is cloudy again like a new tank. Is there a better filter for the chlorine that won't kill my filter bacteria?
Sethvel1

Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:33 am   Re: Use filter for gravel cleaning?

Gravel really shouldn't be used as a substrate for RES. Carbon is probably safest for removing chlorine, though it doesn't have to be prefiltered as it sounds like you're doing.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor