Habitat - Indoor :: Temporary home while new tank set up

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:31 pm   Temporary home while new tank set up

I have an 8" female RES in a 125 gallon tank. Tank is now leaking and will need to be replaced. Tank is still serviceable until the replacement arrives. My problem is that the new tank will be going exactly where the old one sits. What should I do with my turtle for a day or two while I take out the old tank and get the new one set up and the water heated?
balraug

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:15 pm   Re: Temporary home while new tank set up

Well, each turtle is different but the easiest is do this stuff overnight. I find that a tub with water (enough that the can flip over and not become trapped) in a dark room is usually enough for them to quiet down and sleep. You can have them sleep in dry dock, though they can be very restless until they go to sleep. If it takes a couple of days then I think it depends. If you can supervise her, than a tub with water should be OK. If she needs to be left alone, a dry dock area would be best (line it with something because there will be pee/poop and likely on her shell too).

What are you doing the old 125? It can be resealed if it's only the silicone. I had to do it once with my large tank and it was not pleasant but not too difficult.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor