Habitat - Indoor :: Sand and peeling skin

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:41 am   Sand and peeling skin

Hello everyone,

I have two female red eared sliders for about 20 years now. They seem to be healthy and active.

However there are two things, where I your opinion or advice would be highly appreaciated!

1. Turtles are eating the sand ! Is it safe ?
Recently I upgraded their habitat with bigger tank, new lights, stand, etc. They never had a sand, gravel or anything so I wanted to make it littlebit nicer and maybe have some fun for them, so they can dig around.

They seem to be happy with it, digging, playing around with driftwood, but from time to time, they eat the sand.
It is quartz sand, that has been reccomended to me in the shop. I washed it too. I might still have the package somewhere, where it is stated it is pure quartz sand and size of the grain.

2. Their skin is peeling off (video)
I have tried to catch it on video, but it is kinda hard. You can see their skin peeling off. Is it normal like their shell is peeling ? Is it irritated because of the sand?

video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUjwofXQ22U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_5dsed59gk

some pictures too
grain size
basking time
overall look (not finished yet)

Thank you in advance for reading this and and reply. Sorry for my english though, I am not native speaker.

Have a great day!
mantequia

Post Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:06 pm   Re: Sand and peeling skin

Hi! Your RES look pretty good for their age.

Eating sand happens, and as long as it is not excessive then it should be OK. The sand you have should be fine.

Shedding skin is normal too as long as it is not excessive. Water quality and water temperature might increase frequency.

Your English is great!
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor