Habitat - Indoor :: Cyanobacteria aka the Blue-Green menace

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:22 am   Cyanobacteria aka the Blue-Green menace

Well, it looks like we have an infestation. :( It started as a small spot and then began carpeting the tank. I did 1/3 tank change and immediately shut down the Fluval Plant spectrum LED lights (we have two). I also ordered some Ultralife blue green slime stain remover. I'm a little hesitant to shut down the basking & UVB lamps until the Ultralife arrives from Amazon. I'm thinking once I can treat the water, we should do a total 3 day blackout and perhaps another water change. The water quality has been good and we try and keep the tank clean.

Would anyone have any other thoughts/advise/suggestions on the matter?

Thanks
Longhorn

Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:58 am   Re: Cyanobacteria aka the Blue-Green menace

I haven't had to deal with that before, but the reviews on it seem good. More frequent water changes and maybe you can just have the lights on for a shorter amount of time until this is settled.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:36 pm   Re: Cyanobacteria aka the Blue-Green menace

While waiting for the Ultralife, we decided to try Boyd's Chemiclean and see if that clears it up. The tank was only 10 days sisnce the last water change. We'll see how it goes.
Longhorn

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:45 pm   Re: Cyanobacteria aka the Blue-Green menace

The Boyd’s did a great job! I gave it 72 hrs and the Cyanobacteria cleared right up. Just did a 20% water change and put the charcoal filters back in the 2217’s. The kids seem happy!
Longhorn

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:37 pm   Re: Cyanobacteria aka the Blue-Green menace

Great to hear it, cheers for clear water :D
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:00 pm   Re: Cyanobacteria aka the Blue-Green menace

Photo of results
Attachments
IMG_E1421r.jpg
Roisin & tank after treatment
IMG_E1421r.jpg (15.83 KiB) Viewed 4530 times
Longhorn

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:44 pm   Re: Cyanobacteria aka the Blue-Green menace

Looks very nice, especially with the sand.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor