Habitat - Indoor :: External filter Oase BioMaster 350 setup in tray's?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:13 am   External filter Oase BioMaster 350 setup in tray's?

Hello, I have purchased the Oase BioMaster 350 for my RES. I was wondering what kind of bio media, charcoal and setup in the trays would benefit me the most. Since I am limited in what I can get in my country. The filter has a pre filter (fine sponges for filtering, I would exchange this for a more rougher sponge), five trays which come with some sponges and default bio media (small sphere shaped).
Here is a list of things I could buy:

1. Activated carbon in pellets (they range from 1.5mm to 4mm) or Carbon pads, Seachem Purigen (This things would be put in a bag in the filter tray)
2. Aquael BioCeramax 1200 (Ceramic rings) and Bio Balls from Tetra (In which period should the bio media be replaced some state 6-12 months)
3. Juwel Poly Pad

If there is something better I could order it from outside of my country, but for now will this be enough?

Thank you in advance.
Jacketto

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:49 pm   Re: External filter Oase BioMaster 350 setup in tray's?

I'd bag some carbon (I'm currently using MarineLand Black Diamond Premium Activated Carbon) as the pads don't seem worth it. If you get Purigen, buy the pre-bagged version. They are difficult to bag on your own. You don't need both ceramic rings and bio balls, so I would just get the rings. I think the balls float and are intended for trickle filters. If it comes with bio-media, you probably don't need any more. The Juwel Poly Pad looks like a fine mesh, and that would clog quickly with a turtle setup. A mix of fine and coarse sponge media (which normally come with the filter) is usually fine for turtles.

Welcome to the forum!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:52 pm   Re: External filter Oase BioMaster 350 setup in tray's?

Thank you very much steve. :D :D :D :D :D :D
Jacketto

Post Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:46 am   Re: External filter Oase BioMaster 350 setup in tray's?

You're welcome :D
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:41 pm   Re: External filter Oase BioMaster 350 setup in tray's?

Hello, I have a few more questions to ask you forum users.

I have setup my tank on 13.12.2020. and have done water testing on 15.12.2020. with the API freshwater master test kit and the readings are:

Tap water is around pH 7.8

Aquarium water readings:

High pH range 8.0
Ammonia 0.25 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 5.0 ppm

After reading on various places on the internet this seems ok. But I'm still worried about the high pH range of 8.0.

A few questions about cleaning the pre-filter sponges and the sponges inside the filter, I know that it's best cleaned with with the water from the aquarium or canister filter, but is it ok to clean them when the tank isn't fully cycled or if the sponges get full of muck and turtle poop? Also the order of filter media in my canister is pre-filter sponges, two tray's of sponges inside, ceramic rings, carbon and purigen in the upper most, with a smaller sponge in the top. If any of this readings get out of control what is the best option to do in any of those situations? If I have done something incorrectly don't hesitate to correct me.

Thank you in advance.
Jacketto

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:04 am   Re: External filter Oase BioMaster 350 setup in tray's?

Do you have hard water? I would think 8.0 isn't too bad but I would re-test again and keep an eye on it. You can do a partial water change if it's too high for your comfort or if any of the other levels are of concern.

You want to keep the bio media in water from the tank. These are usually ceramic rings, but there are lots of different types. Some people just rinse them with tank water though I usually gently hose them down and then put them in tank water while I'm cleaning other things. It's important for them to not dry off.

Feel free to clean the sponges with regular water and again, I just hose them down.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:25 pm   Re: External filter Oase BioMaster 350 setup in tray's?

steve wrote:Do you have hard water?

After you mentioned it I don't have hard water according to online research, hard water is above pH 8.5, I tested the tap water and it's value is around pH 7.8. Should be safe than.

Also thank you for the info on cleaning, partial water change exc. just wanted to be reassured so I don't mess up.

Thank you very much steve. :D :D :D
Jacketto

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:38 pm   Re: External filter Oase BioMaster 350 setup in tray's?

You're welcome! RES are tough creatures, so we don't have to be perfect :D
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor