Habitat - Indoor :: Tank maintenance schedule

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:40 pm   Tank maintenance schedule

Hi
I posted to a couple of Facebook groups about problems with a new Eheim filter.
I mentioned that I've been cleaning the tanks and filters every 3 weeks, but I was advised that I shouldn't clean the filter that often, to preserve the good bacteria, and that I should be testing their water.

So I've gotten a test kit and will be testing for ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite - anything else?

I need to work out a new schedule for testing and cleaning so my questions are:
How often should I test - weekly?
If levels are too high, how much water should I replace?
I have a 100 gallon tank filled to 80 gallons that I drain to 30 gallons, replacing 50 gallons.
Also a 50 gallon tank filled to 35 gallons that I drain to 20 gallons, replacing 15 gallons.
How often should I clean the filters - is every 2 months about right? Is this based on tests or something else?

Thank you!
LizzieF

Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:58 pm   Re: Tank maintenance schedule

If you live in an area with good water quality, you don't really need to test the water often. But if you have a kit and are going to do so, I would do it before a tank cleaning and a couple of days after. Do it when you think your turtles are not acting like their usual selves.

There is no set formula on how much water to change when the levels are off. You need to know what is causing those measurements to go off to begin with. Same as filter cleanings, what kind do you have? What's in your tank? Do you feed in tank?

Overall, I would think a partial water change (25%) could be done every 2 weeks or 50% every month. I would think 6-8 weeks between a cleaning for a canister is fine. The more water your tanks have, and the better filters you have then I think you can stretch it out longer.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:57 pm   Re: Tank maintenance schedule

Thanks. I tested the water today, a while after the last cleaning, and all the levels were good, so I just added water (it had evaporated a bit). I'll test regularly and see what I get.

I have filters that are rated for bigger tanks than what I"m using, because turtles, and I do feed them in the tank, but use a net to clean stuff out every week or so.

One of them isn't acting like himself, not eating much, which I think is because the heater isn't working right. I have one on order that should be here soon.

Thanks again.
LizzieF

Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:07 pm   Re: Tank maintenance schedule

How off was the temperature? It's not unusual for them to act a bit off during this time of year.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor