Habitat - Indoor :: Looking for recommendations

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:59 am   Looking for recommendations

Hello,

New to forum. Have been scrolling through and reading tips as part of my research but I am having trouble finding precisely what I am looking for.

I am going to be transitioning my 2 indoor RES to an outdoor pond for the better months, and will also be changing their winter indoor setup to be more similar.
This will include doing away with the 125 gal clear glass tank and using a 110 gal stock tank instead (looking at the tuff stuff oval).

I am looking for recommendations that will be compatible with a hard plastic stock tank, including:

heater (turtle and plastic safe)
internal filtration
tank topper (not necessarily basking, more so a sturdy anti-cat lid, but not opposed to basking) that would fit a large oval?

I can diy well enough if there are decent instructions.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions, images, or links!

((also, does anyone know if I could safely put my smaller plecos outside as well, or should I get them a little tank to keep them inside all year?))
lilo&stitch

Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:54 pm   Re: Looking for recommendations

For a heater, the Finnex titanium heaters are very good. For a filter, when you say internal, you want one that goes inside the tank? I don't think there are many options for that, you will probably have to look at pond filters. It is recommended to raise the tank a bit and use canister filters. For a lid, you can find egg crate (light diffuser), use some metal wire shelving, or custom make it with chicken wire. Plecos should be fine outside, make sure they have spaces to hide. Some fish will also help reduce any insect larvae that might make their way there.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor