Page 1 of 1

screen top work?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:57 pm
by kikicool
Can anyone recommend tools to use for screenwork? Now with my cascading filter, the screen doesn't fit over the top. I will have to cut the metal around where the filter fits. Also, has anyone tried changing the shape of the top? I wuld like to make it so that I can open one side easily, instead of hving to remove the top, the lights, etc. each time I feed or clean.

All suggestions appreciated. Please note: I am a novice with tools and the like. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:17 pm
by grey goose
I had the same problem with my old tank. I tried cutting the frame with a hacksaw and bending them back around my filter hoses where they go into the tank. Then I cut the screen and tried to attach the end onto where the frame was bent back using a glue gun. Needless to say, it was a disaster! Once you cut the frame, the whole screen loses it's strength. Gets all wobbly. I ended up tossing it and making my own out of finished wood with 1/2" hardware cloth.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:17 am
by SpotsMama
I made a frame too out of some finished wood, probably like grey goose's. If I can do it anyone can! I'm the least handy person you're ever going to meet.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:24 am
by kikicool
Damn. Just bought a hacksaw and wire cutter. ;) Thanks--I'll look into making one. Herman has started trying to escape!!@

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:39 am
by kikicool
Grey goose and spotsmama....do you have a picture and if so would it be too much trouble to post? Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:25 am
by N4784N R4613
Check out this post by gray goose, go past where he talks about the plexiglass covers, and you will find his cover in detail...

http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewt ... 6013#56013

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:55 am
by kikicool
Wow! You're not kidding. Looks like I need more tools for this one!! Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:06 pm
by SpotsMama
I'll be able to do pictures in a week or so but don't quite have the technology today.