Page 1 of 1

Indoor/Aquarium Nesting Area?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:06 am
by Pizza
Though this probably won't happen for a while (at least a few months), just wondering, how do you set up a proper nesting area, inside aa aquarium, if that's possible? Or would I have to set apart a seperate area and place my turtles there when they exhibit symptoms of having eggs? I'm not that good at making things, but maybe something simple would do, and it would be a lot more convenient if I could set up the nesting area inside the tank, but if I can't any suggestions?

On a side note, I owned a female RES a few years ago, it was about 9+ years old (I forgot, but it was 10 inches long), and not once did it lay eggs or show any signs of having eggs, so is it possible that not all females will lay eggs in their lifetime?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:24 pm
by marisa
For info on making a nesting site, the usual article given (which has some good info) is http://www.turtoisetrust.org/articles/Nestsites.htm The nesting area should be easily accessible so the turtle can use it if she feels the need to.

Some lay several times a year, some less frequently, some not every year. I read recently of someone who has a female RES who's about 10 years old who, according to the keeper, never laid eggs that the person knew of. The capacity is there, though, whether or not the female has mated.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:33 pm
by Spookster
And turtles can be very picky about their nesting site. Don't be surprised if you make one and they don't want to lay eggs in it.