Page 1 of 1

using two filters instead of one question

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:40 pm
by turtle2000
Right now I have a ten gal tank with a zoo med 501 and a 50 watt stealth heater... I am very happy with my setup for the water stays clean and is clear... but my friend is getting rid of his 30 gal tank and his xp1 filter... So my question is this.. I was going to buy a xp3 or xp4 for my new tank but if he is giving me a xp1 would using the zoo med 501 and the xp1 together be enough to keep the 30 gal clean... I would really like to save money and not have to buy the xp3 if I don't have too... also with the 50w stealth heater be enough to keep the temp right or will I have to buy a new heater...

thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:45 pm
by cam722
I'm not sure about the filters as I've never used either of them.. but the heater would need to be upgraded as a 50 watt heater is for up to a 15 gal tank.

Here is a chart regarding wattage/size I use for reference :)

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... &N=0&Nty=1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:50 pm
by Kallistos
Unless it's only half way full and you live in a generally warm area you'll have to purchase a new heater. Like I always say, the stronger the filter, the less cleaning needs to be done.