yet another confusion

Posted:
Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:24 pm
by koch
guys i know you have probably been through this a hundred times but please again........
i have not put an ordinary light bulb for its basking and its 100w is that too much or what? and how long should this be on? at the same time with flurecent light or alternate through the day or what?

Posted:
Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:37 pm
by industrial_girl_2000
Read thru the following thread; it helped me a lot today when I replaced my RES's basking bulb:
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7187
I wanted to get the best bulb I could afford for my Sheba. I have a very large tank (90 gal) so I was able to go with the Powersun UV 100W which was $49.99 for the bulb (nothing is too good for my big baby!). This is one of those "Mercury vapor" floodlamps which are super powerful & you have to make sure you attach them 12 inches away from your turtle. Also, they don't recommend using it if your tank is smaller than 75 gal. I'm not saying you have to buy this, I'm just sharing info on what I bought for my turtle & why & hopefully it will help when you are making your decision.

Have fun!

Posted:
Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:15 pm
by Kallistos
Koch, start using the search feature, Kristin shouldn't have to do the searching for you. You even said, we've gone through this a hundred times, then shouldn't it be very easy to find the answer?
As for the question, 8-12 hours a day. Nothing is really too powerful unless as long as it doesn't over heat the tank. Monitor the temperature w/ a digital thermometer.