Page 1 of 2

Set up

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:01 am
by lisajonathan00
Ok i am new here and I have been reading alot. I have seen many post where everyone is talking about there setups. I was wandering if maybe you all could tell me if I am missing anything or should I do anything else. I was on another forum and felt like trash. I think I will fit in well on theis forum. But anyway.

I have:
40 gallon whisper filter
heater
thermometer
10 gallon tank (using for when I first get the hatchlings, I have a 50 gallon but want them to be in this first)
Fake Plant

Ordered
Dock
2 turtles

Going to river to get river rocks

Looking for UVB light and clamps


Ok Seems like I am missing something here :wink:

Also What could I use to block my filter from the babies and still have the water filtered?

I am new to this so I am very open to any suggestions and advice. My babies will be here Tuesday or Wednesday.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:13 am
by flutterby
You shouldn't need to block your filter from the turtles. The only thing I can see that you're missing is a light for heat in addition to the UVB. Remember you're going to need a thermometer for the water AND the basking area.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:20 am
by lisajonathan00
Ok I was just afraid of the turtles getting cought on it sucking in. Like I said you all know more than I do. I have the heat source light bulb. Going to try the 75 watt and see how that works. I will get a 2nd thermometer.

Do you know where I can find a UVB bulb that goes in the clamps like a reg. bulb or a heat lamp. I dont want to really use the long ones as it will be over the entire tank.

Also I was told that I need to boil the river rocks? Is that true.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:57 am
by flutterby
I got mine at Petsmart and it screws into one of those clamp fixtures.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:59 pm
by SpotsMama
On your filter - does the intake have a screen on it? Just the other day someone's turtle got stuck on the intake and nearly drowned. The screen over the intake had come off.

If the intake is very powerful, and the turtle is very small, I think you are right to worry about him getting stuck.

Here's a link on the stuck-turtle incident.
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewt ... ffbd83bca8

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:59 pm
by lisajonathan00
SpotsMama that is where I read previously about a turtle nearly drowning. I put my fake plant in front of it and it did not suck it to it. I will post a picture of what it looks like.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:02 pm
by asemilla
i may have this backwards but i think that a reg house hold bulb is fine for the uvb but you still need one for the uva...if i'm wrong someone will correct me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:04 pm
by mkoby
A regular household bulb is ok for the heat source. You need to purchase the uvb seperately. The Repti-Sun Compact will fit into a regular light fixture.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:05 pm
by asemilla
so i am wrong....what about the bulbs that say it has both the uvb and the uva are they equally good or is it better to get two diffrent ones

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:07 pm
by lisajonathan00
Image

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:09 pm
by mkoby
The only bulbs that have both are the MVB or Mercury Vapor Bulbs. These are only for large tanks over 55 gallons. If you have a smaller tank, you will need a special uvb bulb and either a regular household bulb or basking light for the uva. There is a bulb that does have both but I don't believe it has enough uvb. A quick tip... if the packaging doesn't specify how much uvb, it's probably not enough.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:10 pm
by lisajonathan00
I have the reg bulb for heat. I need to purchase the UVB bulb and would like it to fit in one of the clamp things. I will need to get two of them(the clamp ons). Not sure what they are called. I just have to get them. I may go to the pet store in another town tomorow and check them out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:13 pm
by asemilla
the one we got yesterday said 7% my tank is 80gallon for me i dont think it works that well though....i was unable to touch the lap right after you turned it off and today i can touch it no prob...i think i am going to have to try another type i thought i could save space with one bulb but i am thinking twice now....oh and what do u think about the engery saving bulbs have you tried them

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:14 pm
by Kallistos
Regular bulbs are good for heat/UVA. Like you said, you need a UVB light, for the clamp lamps the tried and tested ones that are out there are the Reptisun 10.0 compacts.

I noticed in your fist post that you said "hatchlings" How many are you planning and do you know the reprecussions of more than 1 turtle?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:18 pm
by mkoby
If you're trying to save money, you can purchase a clamp lamp almost anywhere. It doesn't have to be from a pet store. They are usually less expensive at stores such as Walmart.

As far as the filter... Is that the Whisper? If so, I have the same one or something very similar. My turt doesn't get stuck. I don't think the suction is strong enough and the waterfall usually pushes her away from the area.