Page 1 of 1

Tank Temp

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:33 pm
by jamie
I am moving my turtles into a new, larger tank. (Yay!)
I had one of those thermometers that you stick to the outside of the tank and it ripped taking it off. Sooo now I am putting them into the large tank... should I just keep the tank room temperature until tomorrow or use my heater? I don't want to make it too hot and I am not sure that I have good temperature guestimation. Alright, thanks for helping out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:42 pm
by megcornell
It's best to let the tank get to at least 75 before putting the turtles in. What I did when I upgraded Leo's tank was to fill it and turn the heater on- don't put the heater in very cold water though it may crack- and let it adjust to 75, that also gave the filter time to cycle through the water a few times.

If you put the turtles in too cool of water they can get respiratory infections-- better safe than sorry... also most heaters should have some sort of temp gauge on them or at least a base temp and then +/- so you can adjust.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:48 pm
by jamie
my heater doesn't have a temp gauge :/

I'm going to go buy themometer tomorrow though...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:33 am
by steve
Do you have any other types of thermometers you can use?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:10 am
by jamie
yeah i used a meat termometer so i worked everything out :)