Page 1 of 1

Hiding Places

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:02 pm
by turboturtle8
Would it be a must to have a hiding place such as one of those Zoo Meds half log they can hide and play in :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:25 pm
by marisa
It's not a "must." You could put some fake plants in the tank, which they could also use to hide it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:54 pm
by turboturtle8
ok thanks a lot were redoing our whole setup so that was one of the things I was just wondering about.

Some people say their turtles try to eat the fake plants though

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:18 pm
by DavidY
Mine would bite at the fake plants when i first put them in but they quickly learned that they weren't edible and now leave them alone.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:46 pm
by PinkyTurtle
I bought my turtle a cave type thing for him to sleep in. He loves it. Its actually a upside down storage contanier i bought at a dollar store. Just put something on the top to keep it from floating up.

http://www.stacksandstacks.com/html/70123_stackable-bin-container-set-of-3-for-stacking-and-storage.htm

Looks like this but much smaller. I only spent a dollar on the one i got so when he out grows it i can just toss it.

Hiding Spot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:00 am
by Turtlefun
I have a 125 gallon tank which is long and narrow. I wanted to have a spot where my turtles could hide but did I not want to obstruct their swimming area by placing a cave or enclosure in the tank. I came up with this idea. I took black construction paper and placed it on the glass on one end or about one quarter of the tank. The turtles now have one basking area and one part of their swimming area that they can not see out of and they think they are in a cave. I placed a liitle hatch in the paper so I can open it and see in when I have to. This works great and when they want to get away from the daily activities that go on around the house they go to the end of the tank that is covered and unwind.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:05 am
by DavidY
That's a neat idea. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:16 am
by pumpkinsherbet
PinkyTurtle wrote:I bought my turtle a cave type thing for him to sleep in. He loves it. Its actually a upside down storage contanier i bought at a dollar store. Just put something on the top to keep it from floating up.


it could also work if you fill the solid space with water first, then turn it over and lay it down. i had to do that with the little pagoda thing i got my fish, put it in the water upside down so it fills up with water, then flip it. see if that helps.