Page 1 of 1

Suggestions Please

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:46 pm
by turboturtle8
Which basking platform am I better off with

Acrylic

Homemade (like with bricks or stones)

ZooMed turtle dock

Above tank platform


my turtles are 2 years so I want something they can grow into

Suggestions or comments greatly appreciated :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:31 pm
by iac637
it all depends on that you want your set up to be when they get older

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:51 pm
by turboturtle8
I would probably want something big for both of them to fit on.
what would you recommend???

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:51 pm
by marisa
What kind of look do you want the tank to have? How big is the tank---do you need or want to maximize swimming space?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:43 pm
by turboturtle8
Were probably going to end up getting a 100 gal tank. I would like to have lots of swimming space.It does'nt really matter what the dock look likes as long as it makes them happy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:01 pm
by Starchick
I'd go with the above tank platform, they look pretty simple to build, and they're going to not only give your turtles the most basking area, but also maximize the tank space! I think if you're looking for something permanent it's the way to go. I'm dying to build them for mine, I hate having to waste the inches of depth necessary to keep the tank escape proof.

Suspended Basking Area

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:41 am
by Turtlefun
I have a 125 gallon tank. I suspended the wood basking area's I have at each end of the tank from the top of the tank. This allow's the turtles unrestricted movement under the basking area'a to swim. It works graet and the turtles have more room

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:18 am
by pumpkinsherbet
i prefer the home made type. it's crafty, cheap and easier than you'd think. the zoomed turtle dock is likable, but those bars... turts get stuck in those bars.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:05 pm
by alexis_906
I too have this same problem, I want to get a bigger tank or use an existing 65 gallon that we have. I just don't know how to build a basking area. I love the idea of having an above tank set up. And I have seen that there are several ways to do it. I just don't know where to start or how to finish.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:38 pm
by notoch351
Above tank platform - gives more swimming space and more basking space there cheep to build and work great