Habitat - Outdoor :: Outdoor care

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:20 pm   Outdoor care

Hey guys! Still new on the turtle scene especially when it comes to changes in environments. I was wondering if it's okay to let my turtle roam around the backyard freely (if she wants to, I was just going to put a ramp on her pool so she can get out)?? I don't know if having her walk through the grass or anything would be bad for her and I'm looking for some feedback. Thanks in advance!!
Mabel20

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:11 pm   Re: Outdoor care

Not bad I let my Piggley outside all the time BUT I watch him Very close ! Not freely! Turtles are very fast. Make a fence to control movement and bury it several inches in ground turtles are not only great climbers but also great diggers ! What about any predators even neighbors dogs ?
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:58 pm   Re: Outdoor care

I agree! Before my new setup, my RES would get out all the time. Do not underestimate their determination or ability to escape. They blend in very well to their surroundings too, so a secure enclosure is a must.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:17 pm   Re: Outdoor care

I'm actually going away for the summer and leaving my turtle with my parents but I think they can handle her. I'm going to try to get an enclosure set up before I go away and I was thinking about adding a little pool for her to swim in when she wants to. I am nervous though because of the grass, what would happen if she eats it?
Mabel20

Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:51 pm   Re: Outdoor care

Any pool make sure she has an easy way out not just in , something solid , a ramp , large rock , logs...

As long as the grass has no pesticides will be ok. They don't eat a lot of grass just a little. She will be looking more for worms , snails , grubs , beetles ...
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:45 am   Re: Outdoor care

Any more details about what you want to setup for them/her?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Outdoor