Habitat - Outdoor :: Living with large goldfish outdoors?

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:01 pm   Living with large goldfish outdoors?

I just inherited a 6-year old RES, about 6-inches long. I have a garden pond with goldfish ranging in size from 4-7 inches. The pond itself is about 12' x 5' at a depth of 3' at the deepest. There are areas with rocks the turtle can use to bask. Can the RES be put in the pond with the goldfish though? Will the turtle try to eat goldfish of that size?
Thanks so much!!!
Lisa812

Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:20 pm   Re: Living with large goldfish outdoors?

I have goldfish indoors and had an in ground pond almost 7000 gallons before the storm. First how many goldfish ? You only have 1350 gallons of water for goldfish and then a turtle ? Was this an outside turtle if not don't ! Goldfish like cool water or must have depth as you do for cooler water. RES needs warm water !

You must have the pond up and running only two years for the goldfish being 4-7". Or you have a very high bio load. For an idea 6 full grown goldfish at 12 " ( yes even common single tails get 12") each is max for that size pond or 68" of fish to be healthy.

If turtle was indoors keep it indoors !

And Yes a 6" turtle would have no problem catching your goldfish that size. Any shubunkins they are fast and may make it ? My Minnie only was 11" and caught 22" Koi before I moved her !

I did have some turtles make friends with fish BUT you don't find out until a good fish ('s) are missing !!!
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:54 am   Re: Living with large goldfish outdoors?

I have had the pond for many years and there currently are about 20 fish living in it. The turtle has been kept indoors in a tank, so you're saying it's best to keep him indoors?
Thanks for your reply!
Lisa812

Return to Habitat - Outdoor