Habitat - Outdoor :: Moving RES outdoor: How big/old should they be?

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:14 am   Moving RES outdoor: How big/old should they be?

Next year I will be able to build an outdoor pond for my two RES, they will be about 15cm to 20cm by the time it's don. Is this big enough for them to be outside, or should I wait until they are 2 to 3 years old (or older) ?

I live in a tropical climate, the temperature is pretty much the same with Florida. There are no natural predators like coyotes or big birds here. The ONLY thing would be cats (not very likely) and rats. I know that it's easier and safer than most places in the US or Europe, but I'm still concerned about putting these lil guys outside in a big pond (it will be large enough for two adult RES).
PokePony

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:12 am   Re: Moving RES outdoor: How big/old should they be?

Where are you located PokePony? Most all places will have some kind of predator to worry about. If you are very concerned, you may not want to put them outdoors in the pond full-time just yet. Taking them outside for a few hours and supervising them would be smart. If you do want to leave them outside after seeing how they react, you could always line the whole habitat with chicken wire. All around and on top, to enclose them, and prevent any kind of predator from getting in.

But if they are 15 cm and 20cm long, I think they'd be fine going outside. Always best to provide some sort of barrier from them and possible predators, though, unless you are very sure that there will be no predators.
rambologic

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:43 pm   Re: Moving RES outdoor: How big/old should they be?

It would also be good to know their genders and the size of the pond you are planning.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:29 am   Re: Moving RES outdoor: How big/old should they be?

I live in Mauritius and the only animals I could worry about would be rats and cats (again, unlikely). We do have meerkats but the only thing they'll ever do (if they come in my yard, which is very unlikely) is eat turtle eggs. We do have a local freshwater turtle and they do not have natural predators.

Steve, I am not sure about their gender but I will base my pond size on two female adult RES anyway to have maximum space :) It will be about 1m30 deep for the deepest part and 2m by 1m30. Dimensions might change but you get the general idea ! I did say I have a male and a female because that's what my neighbours told me, however the more it goes the more I think I have two females, but I'll be fixed when time goes. I know that if there's a male I might need to separate them if he becomes aggressive.
PokePony

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:13 am   Re: Moving RES outdoor: How big/old should they be?

Wow, that's a pretty cool place to live! I agree, don't think you'll have much of any predators to worry about there.
rambologic

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:01 pm   Re: Moving RES outdoor: How big/old should they be?

I think out of all the visitors to this site, that's probably the coolest place to have a member.

Rats can be an issue. Some basic protection should keep the turtles in and predators out. Just remember that they are good at climbing and digging.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:22 am   Re: Moving RES outdoor: How big/old should they be?

Thanks Steve ! About the rats I was thinking about building a wooden fence around and put a second basking area in the middle of the pond as well because of that. I'll check on some protection systems while I'll build it. There will be some rat traps as well in my house and all anyway. I mean, they are a nuisance to me as well so I wouldn't even want them inside ahah ! Well I'm a bit more reassured now, I will probably put them in the pond in the summer of 2018. :)

And thank your ambologic and steve about my country :D I do enjoy living here !
PokePony

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:37 pm   Re: Moving RES outdoor: How big/old should they be?

Sounds like a good plan, keep us updated!
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Outdoor