Habitat - Outdoor :: Starting With an Outdoor Habitat?

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:08 am   Starting With an Outdoor Habitat?

Hey everyone, I have been looking into getting a red-eared slider for a while now and since I moved into my new place and it has a beautiful pond in the back(big fence around the yard as well and no other animals). Something that I have been wondering as of late when sitting out by the pond is how easy it would be to start an outdoor habitat compared to indoor for a first time turtle owner. I have a considerably amount of money saved up that I would be willing to spend on my habitat so that is not an issue, I have just been reading so much about how sliders live in water most of their life in the wild so thought that might be better for them. I am a little unsure if there is anything that I need to do with my pond first, I am sure some sort of filter will need to be installed. Any tips or advice are welcome and extremely appreciated, I am really excited to finally be taking some steps to getting a turtle :)

I talked with the people in Vernon about this and they suggested a local Okanagan Painted Turtle and even pointed me towards a good breeder who could help me more. After talkign with him I have installed a UV water sterilizer that was purchased from a seller on http://www.for-sale.co.uk/uv-water-steriliser that was also able to sell me some other products as his turtle had passed away a couple months ago (RIP). I am now getting everything ready for my new turtle and even though it is not a Red Slider, you guys have been a lot of help. Thank you :)
Last edited by MasterOfDisguise on Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
MasterOfDisguise

Post Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:20 pm   Re: Starting With an Outdoor Habitat?

Hello and welcome ! Saw your other post. So glad you are doing your homework , you will be ahead of most ! Lots to get down correctly for a happy healthy turtle.
No other animals? I live in city limits and we have raccoons. Some neighbors dogs get out and could be a problem , large birds .
Turtles are great diggers and climbers.
How many gallons? Or size , shape and depth. Where do you live "the climate". Would the pond be deep enough for the winter temps? Any photos of pond would help?
Just do you homework as you are doing and it all could work for a turtle.
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:53 am   Re: Starting With an Outdoor Habitat?

I have no photos right now, when my phone it fixed I will take some for here. I live in the Okanagan so the temps are pretty good for most of the year but it can get slightly below zero in the winter. The pond seems to be pretty deep so I think I should be okay on that. My neighbors only have small toy dogs and no cats, plus the raccoon population is down this year thanks to some better bylaws. Only worry would be birds I guess. Is there any need to get a UV water sterilizer? I saw some online that people had used for fish ponds and thought it might be nice to have the water cleaner for my hopefully new buddy. Thanks for all the suggestions and questions to make me think :)
MasterOfDisguise

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:52 am   Re: Starting With an Outdoor Habitat?

Canada ??? You may want to do some homework on the laws. First RES can be owned in Canada privately in an indoor tank with a permit . None can be placed in an in ground pond private or natural water ways and each province have a little stricter laws on RES's. If you do they have very strict laws you may be dealing with. They will confiscate the turtle ! RES's are invasive to Canada ( not a native range for RES's) also I googled the weather almanac for Okanagan British Columbia . It could only a small part of the time make it outdoors , you will need an indoor setup most of the time. It would not survive even natural hibernation. Most reputable breeders will not ship to Canada due to the Laws ! Why not try a native turtle to Canada so it has a chance.

I have helped members Legally bring RES's into Canada , it can be done with proper certification / inspection requirements ! That's only for private in home tank not outdoor water ways...even private pond , could escape to the native waters.
Your province may or may not be the same as the last person I helped , as I said each territory is a little different.
Here is a link that helped me with RES's in Canada good read : http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/ter ... 0462438912

There was a member on this forums board that had his confiscated , please check local regulations , as I stated each territory is a little different ! Canada has some inconsistent laws !
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:49 am   Re: Starting With an Outdoor Habitat?

litefoot wrote:Canada ??? You may want to do some homework on the laws. First RES can be owned in Canada privately in an indoor tank with a permit . None can be placed in an in ground pond private or natural water ways and each province have a little stricter laws on RES's. If you do they have very strict laws you may be dealing with. They will confiscate the turtle ! RES's are invasive to Canada ( not a native range for RES's) also I googled the weather almanac for Okanagan British Columbia . It could only a small part of the time make it outdoors , you will need an indoor setup most of the time. It would not survive even natural hibernation. Most reputable breeders will not ship to Canada due to the Laws ! Why not try a native turtle to Canada so it has a chance.

I have helped members Legally bring RES's into Canada , it can be done with proper certification / inspection requirements ! That's only for private in home tank not outdoor water ways...even private pond , could escape to the native waters.
Your province may or may not be the same as the last person I helped , as I said each territory is a little different.
Here is a link that helped me with RES's in Canada good read : http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/ter ... 0462438912

There was a member on this forums board that had his confiscated , please check local regulations , as I stated each territory is a little different ! Canada has some inconsistent laws !

I will make sure to check the laws and permits for sure. I thought that the area I was living would be a good environment but as you sad it depends on the province. There is an office in Vernon which is close to me and has the same hot temps all year round so I will go and talk with them there. I am going to also take a look at other turtles, I have been thinking that I might have to but was hoping I could get myself an RES, if not then I will have to adapt.
MasterOfDisguise

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:57 am   Re: Starting With an Outdoor Habitat?

The last person I helped was in Alberta province , they needed a health certificate , inspection forms , and permit. RES's are one of the most popular tuetles as pets until people see the work and cost involved to have a happy and healthy turtle. All those upgrades as they grow. I've been in this hobby a long time , to save money I found it's cheaper just to setup a tank for the adult size and you are done. Some no matter if the country they live is native for a slider they let it go in the wild. It will become invasive and or may die. In the US each states has different laws and some have Very Big fines ! It gets complicated. The turtle is confiscated to. Canada also having this problem with RES's being introduced in the wild and as I said each province handles it different. Found by you in the very south of British Columbia RES are making their way to your area. How they are handling it in 2017 ?

http://www.bcreptiles.ca/turtles.htm

You may get lucky and only need a permit ? It will depend on how invasive RES's are in the south of the Province. They may go with it or change more laws ? Since 2008 in the provinces the laws changed twice do to this concern. Good luck and keep us posted.
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:06 am   Re: Starting With an Outdoor Habitat?

litefoot wrote:The last person I helped was in Alberta province , they needed a health certificate , inspection forms , and permit. RES's are one of the most popular tuetles as pets until people see the work and cost involved to have a happy and healthy turtle. All those upgrades as they grow. I've been in this hobby a long time , to save money I found it's cheaper just to setup a tank for the adult size and you are done. Some no matter if the country they live is native for a slider they let it go in the wild. It will become invasive and or may die. In the US each states has different laws and some have Very Big fines ! It gets complicated. The turtle is confiscated to. Canada also having this problem with RES's being introduced in the wild and as I said each province handles it different. Found by you in the very south of British Columbia RES are making their way to your area. How they are handling it in 2017 ?

http://www.bcreptiles.ca/turtles.htm

You may get lucky and only need a permit ? It will depend on how invasive RES's are in the south of the Province. They may go with it or change more laws ? Since 2008 in the provinces the laws changed twice do to this concern. Good luck and keep us posted.

Those are all questions I will be asking when I go to Vernon. It seems that a lot of resources are saying they are allowed with permits, the big thing is that you need to be able to commit to it for a long time and not release it into the wild. Thanks again :)
MasterOfDisguise

Return to Habitat - Outdoor