Habitat - Outdoor :: Above ground rubbermaid stock pond

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:37 am   Above ground rubbermaid stock pond

Looking for some thoughts and suggestions. I have a RES ~5" current in a tank that is a little small. I'm looking at getting a 150 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank and setting it up on my enclosed back porch. The porch ceiling is insulated and instead of screen we have something called EZE-Breeze windows. They are a thin flexible vinyl material, so no wind gets through but not much insulation there. I live in Houston county Alabama where it's hot in the summer and can get pretty cool in the winter for a few days. Would he be ok out there all year? What kind of heater is recommended for the Rubbermaid tanks? And....any other thoughts or suggestions?
Wilkija

Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:16 am   Re: Above ground rubbermaid stock pond

Your winter climate will be a little colder than here in New Orleans but this works well. I had several 150 gallon Rubbermaid stock tanks on my breezeway year round. On those rare days when it gets below 20* I had a sheet of plexiglass cut to fit each stock tank. Holds the heat in well !!! Had a cut out for the light fixture , a double fixture I used , a dimmer for only the heat bulb not the UVB with one size up on the wattage so I could crank it up or down one degree at a time when needed. That helps with those night it got down in the teens. As far as heaters I like a little more than needed so not to run full out like on one to small or under rated. I keep about 125 Gallons of water in a 150 gallon stock tank and use a Eheim Jager TruTemp submersible heater at 300 watts. I have one that's 10 years old and still in great shape and accurate. Been using Eheim for decades and never had any problems, never ! A few people I know that did have a problem they got it replaced , just be far and nice , goes a long way when trying to get a replacement with anyone. I also use a heater shield mainly to protect the turtle !

Rubbermaid stock tanks are made out of structural foam , very strong , not one of those cheap plastic type. If a concern with any type heater attach it to rocks or bricks or place on some river rocks if you feel a need to keep any type from touching the tank itself.
Last edited by litefoot on Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:19 am   Re: Above ground rubbermaid stock pond

Thanks for that information. Do you have any issues with the water getting too warm in the summer?
Wilkija

Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:22 am   Re: Above ground rubbermaid stock pond

Some day's here it gets to 99* and the water maybe 83-85* but RES turtles are very hardy. I say no.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:27 am   Re: Above ground rubbermaid stock pond

That's great. I'll definitely move forward with the stock tank. I was just worried about weather, so thanks for your information. I think I'll have a much happier turtle soon.
Wilkija

Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:28 am   Re: Above ground rubbermaid stock pond

Also being that size stock tank it's about 3'x5' , you can offer an extra shady area , or if you have a good UVB bulb keep it out direct sun helps so you have better control over the temps. You could if temps get colder than what mentioned could wrap the tank in a wall type sealed insulation for even more control. Something like : https://www.lowes.com/pd/Johns-Manville ... -L/3010706
Less to no itch when working with !
Then be creative and decorate it , be creative for better looks. Wrap it with a nice window blind , table cloth , bamboo ? That extra insulation would help year round if needed from heat or cool so you have better control. Us having control on everything is key with turtles.

Boy or girl , what's the name ? If a boy could be final home for him or even a small female depending on her DNA .
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:36 pm   Re: Above ground rubbermaid stock pond

We call him (I think) Minnie.
Wilkija

Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:28 pm   Re: Above ground rubbermaid stock pond

I had a Minnie too ! Also a Mickey names from the "Mickey Mouse show" . Then Chopsley , Eric , Wiley and a Morgus from the "Morgus the Magnificent show". All Raised in a inground pond before Katrina hit. Lost all of them ( nine feet flood water for 21 days ) ... house , car , boat all. New life now and only Piggley and me but we are very happy ! Just one now being I'm an old man . The grandkids named him from the "Piggley Winks show" . If all survived they would be in there 30's-40's today. Wiley was a rescue age unknown maybe 18. I still miss them all today. Several raised from babies. I had several stock tanks , don't like turtles to brumate. Piggley's in one today but in living room next to my chair so we can play all the time.

Kind of telling my age ! Tells how cartoon shows affect kid's even now a days.

Your Minnie is old enough now ( sexual mature) to tell sex if that 5" is just the shell. "SCL" straight carapace length ? Picture of front claws and one of tail bottom side better to see cloaca. Hopefully you can hold tail straight out and not tucked in. Don't change it's name if a girl I think and believe turtles learn there names. They are much smarter than some think.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:32 am   Re: Above ground rubbermaid stock pond

Here is my tank just filled with water and moved a few things over. Also a picture of minnie.
https://imgur.com/a/vt6ipCg

My todo list -
1- I've got some retaining blocks coming Monday that I am planning on putting around the tank
2- Probably put some insulation between the blocks and the tank, might as well since that will be cheap and easy.
3 - Heater on order and will be here Tuesday
4 - Will probably end up adding a second filter (currently using SunSun 304b)
5 - Make the plumbing prettier...I just dropped the intake in, so I'm trying to figure out something that looks a little better
6 - I'd like to add a smaller rectangular planter box on the side where the window is, and pump water into this box to create a waterfall into the tank.
7 - I was looking into live plants, but I have no idea what I am doing there...I'd like to cover the bottom with something that grows maybe 3-5" tall, and i'd like to add a lily pad or maybe some water lettuce (never done live plants so I dunno)
Wilkija

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:31 am   Re: Above ground rubbermaid stock pond

Your Minnie is a "male" ! That can be his forever home , most males don't get to much bigger but that depends on his DNA. Even if he got 9" still forever home .
A second filter may be a good idea , that 304b has very small media area for a turtle 5". Or even one larger filter with much larger media area ? I have and love my FX6 for about same setup and only clean it once a month , could go longer.
Don't see a thermometer... a very accurate type is the IR ones like this : https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lasergr ... hemonemter

Live plants but will only be a food source and or start a separate plant tank to keep up with Minnie. Nothing fancy , I have a 70 gallon stock tank just sitting outside and does well to keep up with Piggley.

If you want look in photo gallery under Piggley may get some ideas for your setup.

Good planning and homework , makes things easier ! Minnie will love you even more for it. Be prepared if he moves things around from where you want. He will put things where "He" wants. Once he has you trained well all will be good with the new setup.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:15 pm   Re: Above ground rubbermaid stock pond

I have that exact IR gun. Can't see it in the picture but I have this on the tank now - https://www.chewy.com/hde-lcd-digital-aquarium-thermometer/dp/157425?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=HDE&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6MHdBRCtARIsAEigMxH7ejtP9rTsaKpi6OWJPKWLVOxM5c7UXU6Jv-p3DQwWLAeZ5o7GYrwaAiBKEALw_wcB

I'm also thinking about rigging up a raspberry pi to monitor the environment (I like to tinker). I saw one called reef-pi that looked interesting.
Wilkija

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:05 pm   Re: Above ground rubbermaid stock pond

IR does it all even helps while cooking and around the house. Being a Tinker in this hobby is good.

Don't think they anticipated a raspberry catching on the way it did. Maybe that extra money can go to the filter upgrade unless you can swing both.

I have a draw full of old digitals , ones I got weren't very auccurate.

Remmenber I'm an old man and old timer ideas but I do know of "Pi's" and what they can do. Please don't go to hi tec on me or I will be back in school again.
litefoot

Return to Habitat - Outdoor