Habitat - Outdoor :: Cooler weather outside

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:39 am   Cooler weather outside

Good morning,
So my RES has an outdoor habitat. There is a cool front moving into southern Texas later today. The temps are supposed to be in the 50's and 60's and rainy for the next few days.
Is my little guy going to be ok out there in the cooler weather? He is 7 years old. this is his first cold spell we are getting since he moved outdoors.
KARINPERRY

Post Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:09 am   Re: Cooler weather outside

Same front by me too. 50's may just slow down some by the 40's will want to start looking for a place to "brumate" . Myself say when cold just bring it inside. Unless you think you can 100% offer what nature can , most can not , so inside. It's really not safe to have a captive slider "brumate" unless it has pond 2and 1/2' to 3' deep and or the proper material , ground and leaf litter to dig under. If you can control water temps and temps in the open pen area that's different. I vote inside when need to over winter if you can not offer 100% what nature does to be safe for your guy. Some turtles have been found very large distances from ponds to find the best "brumation" spot ! Your call ?

Even if you offer what you may think is good to brumate in the pen turtles are very picky and may think different.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:31 am   Re: Cooler weather outside

Thank you for the info.
KARINPERRY

Post Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:36 am   Re: Cooler weather outside

If you decide to , I would read all the documentation you can on brumating a captive turtle and then some more for safety. That's why I choose not to brumate , that's just me with my decades of experience so many things can happen , other's have there opinion.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:41 pm   Re: Cooler weather outside

Is this the 30 gallon pond? If so, I would probably bring him as that is not a lot of water which will get pretty cool.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Outdoor