Habitat - Outdoor :: First Outdoor Winter for YBS

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:15 am   First Outdoor Winter for YBS

I need advice on how to prepare my 6 year old Slider for her first winter outside. SheRex (originally TRex until she laid eggs) is very healthy and has about a 14" carapace. She has lived in a 130gal indoor tank until this spring and has moved into a 390gal outdoor stock tank with waterfall and aeration.

She has thrived with her goldfish roommates and loves being outside. Now it's time to get ready for winter and I need advice. We live in North Carolina with low winter temps avg 33F but rarely stay low long.

1. What water temperature should I start slowing down the feeding and when to stop?

2. If the temperature rises during this winter and she becomes active, do I feed her?

3. What food is recommended as the temperature drops?

4. Do I need to provide a shaded area?

If anyone has any other advice, I would appreciate it.
husabeast

Post Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:20 pm   Re: First Outdoor Winter for YBS

Hibernating RES can be pretty tricky and we generally don't recommend it for captive RES. I would definitely read up more, and keep in touch with local keepers and rescues. Most people on this forum, including me, do not hibernate our RES. As for your situation, there usually is more water and ponds/tanks are in ground to help insulate it. They are usually at least 2-3 feet deep.

1) Not sure, but I would think 50-60 range. 2) Usually not. 3) As far as I know, it is not a good idea to feed them during this period. 4) I don't think it would be necessary.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Outdoor