Habitat - Outdoor :: sooo one of my baby turtles escaped! any tips on how to find

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:47 pm   sooo one of my baby turtles escaped! any tips on how to find

she's probably still around 1.5 inches long, I was feeding the others and had her on a small plastic shoebox with a cloth inside for cover and when I turned around the box was empty. She probably climbed through the cloth and went to the grass and hid somewhere. I haven't had a chance to mow the lawn so it looks like a jungle and I'm having a hard time finding her. I'm sure she will turn up eventually, but any tips on how to find turtles in grass?
malafoca

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:45 am   Re: sooo one of my baby turtles escaped! any tips on how to

Here are some general tips: http://redearslider.com/lost_turtle.html

But keep looking, non-stop. Look under and between even the smallest spaces as she might want cover, or even get stuck. Check along, fences, walls and perimeters. Good luck!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:25 am   Re: sooo one of my baby turtles escaped! any tips on how to

thanks! I stumbled on that page after I made the topic, good stuff. My backyard is all closed so if the turtle is in the grass, I will eventually find her, no risk of her escaping. what I am concerned about is that there are a lot of insects out there, and because she's still a baby, I'm afraid she will get stuck. I also scheduled a gardener visit later this week so hopefully she comes out as we are cutting the grass without her getting injured.

The backyard space she might be on is not that large, I'm hopeful she'll turn up, she's just so small and her shell is still green, making things a lot harder.
malafoca

Post Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 9:28 am   Re: sooo one of my baby turtles escaped! any tips on how to

did a full sweep yesterday, no luck. Gardener comes today, let's hope by mowing the grass she'll turn up.
malafoca

Post Posted: Sat May 09, 2020 5:32 am   Re: sooo one of my baby turtles escaped! any tips on how to

I think the best time might be early in the morning... before sunrise since it will be very quiet and hopefully she will roam around.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:12 pm   Re: sooo one of my baby turtles escaped! any tips on how to

Gardener came on Saturday and did not find her. Left around 11am. At around 3pm I glanced at the backyard and I saw her walking around!!! She was so full of dirt! She was really hungry, I fed her until 4pm just like the others and she ate 3 reptisticks! Before this she had never wanted to eat them before. She only wanted to eat dried shrimp before so I think this is good!

Finally!
malafoca

Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:42 am   Re: sooo one of my baby turtles escaped! any tips on how to

Wow, great ending to her adventure. They only get faster and harder to spot, so be more careful :)
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Outdoor