Habitat - Outdoor :: My outdoor RES pond

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:43 pm   My outdoor RES pond

We recently set up an outdoor pond/enclosure for our RES. It's a 60 gallon pond liner that we put in-ground. He's got hiding spots under water and a big basking area. He does not come out of the pond unless we take him out- he is still too small. He does like to wander around the rocks, supervised of course. :lol:
Here's a pic from when we first got it set up...
Here's a more recent pic- changed up the basking area and check out the hasta growth! It's providing some natural shade- love it....
I do want to get some type of waterfall/filter going. Not sure how we are going to do that but it's definitely on the list!
HannahJo

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:06 am   Re: My outdoor RES pond

Looks nice! How warm does it get? You will want to have some more shade for him and filtration will be a must. I would also add some more security around his fence ASAP. RES are true escape artists. They will climb, dig and squeeze to get where they want to go.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:26 pm   Re: My outdoor RES pond

Outside temp for the summer here ranges from high 70's to high 90's (degrees).
The hasta plant you can see in the last picture is going to get HUGE. It will end up covering most of the pond. I am actually going to have to cut it back so it does not shade the basking area.
Yes I have heard they are sneaky sneaks! He currently doesn't come out of the pond unless supervised- but when I decide to let him wander around on his own I will definitely have a more secure fence.
HannahJo

Return to Habitat - Outdoor