Feeding and Nutrition :: Does turtle food expire? How long does it last?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:58 pm   Does turtle food expire? How long does it last?

I can't seem to find any definitive answers online. I am interested in buying Mazuri turtle food in bulk. My turtles get bored of reptomin ones
occasionally and refuse to eat that brand all the time.

I can no longer seem to find any large bulk suppliers of Hikari sticks in Canada which from my experience are the best .

There is an option to buy 25LBs worth for about $60 of Mazuri. But it would be of no use if it expires within a year or less.
If turtle food does expire would keeping it in an air tight jar preserve it for more than a year?

Thank you in advance.
X-Factor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:01 pm   Re: Does turtle food expire? How long does it last?

Everything will get old and stale and lose it's potency after a while. Same with turtle food. Keep it in an air tight container and in the fridge. That would probably give it a longer shelf life. How many turtles and how big? If you can get it eaten within a year and keep it like mentioned above then go for it.
Stupid is as stupid does. - Forest Gump
The only dumb question is one not asked.
Love of Animals

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:25 pm   Re: Does turtle food expire? How long does it last?

I have 3 painted turtles. They are about 2.5 years old now. The biggest one is about 5 inches, the others are 4 and 3.5 inches big.

Not sure about keeping it in the fridge would be an option, but turtle food in Canada is overpriced unless purchased in bulk.

for instance only 2.5 LBS of reptomin sells for $27 at bigalsonline.com USA
but the same item sells for $55 at bigalonline.ca despite the US and Canadian dollars being at about parity these last 4 years.

If anyone in Canada is curious I did a google search and ended up finding this website. I never ordered from there, but online would be my only option
because they only have a few stores which are far away.

http://www.renspets.com/fresh-water-tur ... 5e08-10688 $62 for 25 pounds sounds like the best deal I've seen but it will probably
turn out to be 2.5 lbs.

Local stores have worse prices and only sell small cans from my experience.
X-Factor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:07 pm   Re: Does turtle food expire? How long does it last?

You might be able to split it with a few people on this board... or donate the unused portion.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:06 pm   Re: Does turtle food expire? How long does it last?

I was just considering a 50 lb bag of maintenance formula from zoo med for 76.63, and had the thought of putting it in one of those large vacuum bags that you use for blankets normally, and then suck out all the air. I have 6 red eared sliders. I don't know how long that much will last, but I thought the idea of splitting it was fabulous. I'm in the us in Utah
debobrien

Return to Feeding and Nutrition