Feeding and Nutrition :: doritos

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:11 pm   doritos

ice is so snob with food and specially with what i give him by hand..
i was giving him lettuce and he didnt even bite it..
cucumber the same..
a while ago i was eating doritos and watching football and fell one doritos in his tank and he grabed it :shock: :shock:
and i was trying to take it but he was covering it and he ate it all
this thing is tooo fatty so he wont ate anymore but i was surprised he ate it..
i am a newbie ;)
greek

Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:28 pm   

So am I, especially since they're rather hard. I hope this is his only taste of the stuff...

My turtles don't like cucumbers either. For a treat, try a bit of cantelope. Leafy greens are always good (look at the feeding list).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:32 pm   

marisa wrote:So am I, especially since they're rather hard. I hope this is his only taste of the stuff...

My turtles don't like cucumbers either. For a treat, try a bit of cantelope. Leafy greens are always good (look at the feeding list).

he was smashing it and then eating it :lol:
i never give him such things.. i preffer to treat him with veggies and shrimps..
also if its possible since i am not familiar with english names of the veggies some photos :roll: :roll:
e.g. of cantelope ..
i am a newbie ;)
greek

Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:43 pm   

Cantelope is a type of melon, it's round and is orange inside. Sorry I have no pictures. What you could do is look at the feeding list and do a web search for the veggies you don't know. There's bound to be pictures along with a description of them.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:46 pm   

marisa wrote:Cantelope is a type of melon, it's round and is orange inside. Sorry I have no pictures. What you could do is look at the feeding list and do a web search for the veggies you don't know. There's bound to be pictures along with a description of them.

yeap we got it here..
aint it too sweet or rich in sugar?
i am a newbie ;)
greek

Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:51 pm   

πεπονάκι ;......... in any case I believe thats it in Greek. I have aunt whose greek but she only tells me words to tell people off LOL. :-) Hope it helps
Aqua8

Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:54 pm   

You give it as an occasional treat. (When it's in season, I give it more than that, but just a little each time I do). It's high in beta carotene, and one of the healthier fruits you can give your turtle.
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:58 pm   

Aqua8 wrote:πεπονάκι ;......... in any case I believe thats it in Greek. I have aunt whose greek but she only tells me words to tell people off LOL. :-) Hope it helps

yeap πεπονακι .. peponaki ;)
i am a newbie ;)
greek

Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:02 pm   

Awesome, kinda unsure that was it. But that's good, hope it helps!! :-)
1 RES: Tortarita :-D
1 Box turtle: Squirt :-D
1 Chameleon: Neptune :-D

Hope is the strongest weapon the heart can hold.
Aqua8

Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:36 pm   

my female RES once ate a cheeto by mistake, i was eating a bag of some, then a small piece of one fell in, she shot off of her dock and gobbled it all up. she acted realy lethargic for a day, then once she pooped everything went back to normal.

i'm more careful with what I eat around their tanks now. cheetos and doritos arent exactly good for us, so it is common sense that it's bad for them too :)
1.1.0Trachemys scripta elegans
0.0.1Sternotherus odoratus
1.1.0Platemys platycephala
0.1.0Pelomedusa subrufa subrufa
0.0.1.Graptemys pseudogeographica
xsavingsaturdayx

Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:48 pm   

My turtles never ate anything that strange but one time I was bouncing a ball and it fell in my turtles tank while they were basking probably scared the crap out of them
2 RES Jack and Turbo
1 Shih-tzu/Poodle mix Cookie
turboturtle8

Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:10 pm   

My turtle got hold of a dorito crumb once and went running with it, he was so excited. He didn't manage to eat it but I'm not surprised yours did, given the chance!
Napoleon - Western Painted Turtle
Apollo - Eastern Box Turtle
Moxie - Painted Turtle Mutt
RIP Hercules

Katie

I heart my herpies!
Starchick

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:35 pm   

I don't know if turtles are like other pets (dogs) or not as far as feeding habits. I know when I was growing up if we were eating something strange in front of the dogs like cauliflower or broccoli that dogs normally don't like, they would still beg for it as long as it looked like we were enjoying it. Then they would happily eat it themselves (and beg for more). I am thinking that if your turtles are watching you eat whatever you seem to enjoy so much, then they must think it is good for them too! (even if it isn't really)
RES, Nicaraguan slider, Chinese Golden Thread, Northern DBT, Eastern Painted, Gibba turtle, Leopard tortoise, 3 Central American Woods, 2 Home's Hingeback tortoises, False Map, Northern Map, 2 Pink bellies, Reeves
lotsofpets

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:41 pm   

xsavingsaturdayx wrote:my female RES once ate a cheeto by mistake, i was eating a bag of some, then a small piece of one fell in, she shot off of her dock and gobbled it all up. she acted realy lethargic for a day, then once she pooped everything went back to normal.

i'm more careful with what I eat around their tanks now. cheetos and doritos arent exactly good for us, so it is common sense that it's bad for them too :)

he is too energetic :P and his poop seem normal..
i think he is a junk food addict :P
i am a newbie ;)
greek

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:56 pm   heres a list of safe good food 4 res

Safe Feeding List

Commercial Foods (This is just a few of them on the market)
* Tetra Reptomin
* ZooMed's Aquatic Turtle Food
* Exo Terra
* Wardley's Reptile Premium Sticks
* HBH Turtle Bites

Frozen/Canned (For treats)
* Spirulina-enriched Brine Shrimp
* Bloodworms
* Plankton
* Krill
* ZooMed's Can O'Crickets, Grasshoppers, or Meal Worms

Live Foods (Carnivorous)
* Guppies or Rosies Reds (no goldfish they are too fatty and have very little nutritional value)
* Crickets (Gut-Loaded)
* Pinhead Crickets (for smaller turtles)
* Earthworms, Night Crawlers
* Ghost Shrimp
* Aquatic Snails/Apple Snails
* Slugs
* Wax Worms, Super Worms

**Be careful about Wild-Caught foods, they can carry parasites that can be transferred to your turtle. Freezing Wild-Caught foods for a month will help to kill off some parasites.

Fruits (small amounts for treats only)
* Apples
* Bananas
* Grapes
* Melon
* Tomato
* Strawberries

**Should be cut up in small, bite-size or match-like sticks that will be easy for the turtle to bite into and not choke on.

Veggies
* Squash
* Zucchini
* Carrots :lol: :lol:
* Greens- Red Leaf, Romaine, Collards, Kale, Dandelion Greens

**Stay away from Spinach. Make sure to cut the veggies in bite-size or match-like sticks so your turtle can eat them easily. Iceberg lettuce is a good filler, but contains little/no nutritional value!

Aquatic Plants
* Anacharis
* Duckweed
* Water Hyacinth
* Water Lettuce
* Water Lily
RES_R_COOL

Next

Return to Feeding and Nutrition