Page 1 of 3
Cuttle bone lovers!

Posted:
Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:22 pm
by emma
WOW!! Today I bought cuttle bone and gave some to my 3 turts and they went mad!! They REALLY love it!! But I didnt give them to much. But i just cant believe that they like it so mcuh! Is that normal?

Posted:
Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:25 pm
by marisa
They could be craving calcium. Some of my turts will go through phases where they really like it and then seem to leave it alone for a while. I've always thought that when they were really into it, they needed more calcium in their systems.
Did you take the hard backing off?

Posted:
Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:22 pm
by SpotsMama
Be sure and pry off the hard backing then you can give them more than just a little bit if they are craving it. Usually people leave a few chunks in the tank for the turtle to snack on when he/she feels like it.

Posted:
Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:34 pm
by stray_647
best way to do it is to soak it in water overnight, then dry the cuttleboan, then use butter knife to pry it off....

Posted:
Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:37 pm
by emma
yeah i always take the backing off

Posted:
Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:16 pm
by Sgt. Pepper
My turtle hasn't touched his cuttle bone at all. He's had it for a few weeks now but I've yet to see any evidence of him touching it.

Posted:
Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:37 pm
by kevin
Mine never seems to touch it as well. I still try to give it to him though.

Posted:
Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:23 pm
by SpotsMama
It's good to keep some cuttlebone in the tank even if the turtle isn't interested right now. He may need it later and then it's good to be there. It's cheap so you really don't lose much if he never eats it.
By the way, some turtles, like mine, won't eat a soggy cuttlebone. When Spot's cuttlebone gets so soggy it sinks then he won't touch it - he wants it fresh. Other turtles prefer them soggy! Different strokes for different turtles I guess.

Posted:
Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:33 pm
by FLhaven4strays
Sgt. Pepper wrote:My turtle hasn't touched his cuttle bone at all. He's had it for a few weeks now but I've yet to see any evidence of him touching it.
Ditto!

Posted:
Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:49 pm
by kornygerm
I got her one a few weeks ago, so she does eats it, but since she doesnt access to sunlight,its kind pointless unless i built a pen like david's.

Posted:
Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:55 pm
by untsmurf
I think I missed the connection, what does having access to sunlight have to do with eating cuttle bone?

Posted:
Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:36 pm
by megcornell
untsmurf wrote:I think I missed the connection, what does having access to sunlight have to do with eating cuttle bone?
Turtles need sunlight or UVB rays to stimulate production of vitamin D3 which is required to aid in the metabolism of calcium which they get from the cuttlebone.

Posted:
Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:44 pm
by kornygerm
Thanks Meg lol.

Posted:
Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:10 pm
by SpotsMama
Good quality turtle pellets will contain some vitamin D3. While it's not a complete substitute for good UVB light it will help your turtle metabolize the calcium from a cuttlebone, so even if your turtle for some reason istn' getting UVB light go ahead an give him cuttlebone so at least he'll get something from it. They really have to be able to absorb calcium for their shell and bones.
Kornygerm, if your turtle isn't ever exposed to natural sunlight, then be sure he's got a good UVB bulb to bask under. If you are temporarily between UVB bulbs, be sure and continue with the cuttlebone plus give him good quality pellets. If necessary, you can also provide a vitamin supplement to make sure he at least gets the basics until the light situation is fixed.
Re: Cuttle bone lovers!

Posted:
Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:12 am
by industrial_girl_2000
emmanelson96 wrote:WOW!! Today I bought cuttle bone and gave some to my 3 turts and they went mad!! They REALLY love it!! But I didnt give them to much. But i just cant believe that they like it so mcuh! Is that normal?
If your turts are small & still growing a lot, it is totally normal! They need the calcium for healthy bones!
My Sheba hates cuttlebone (won't touch it at all) but then again, she is an adult & hasn't grown for years.