Page 1 of 1
Feeder rosy red minnows

Posted:
Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:39 am
by fultonh
My turtle is about 6 and i use to put a dozen guppies in her tank about once a month, which was more than enough for her. I recently switched her to rosy red minnows because the vet said that would be best, but when i got home, (8 hours later) all 11 minnows were gone. My question is how many feeder minnows should she get and how often. I feed her a varied diet, of pellets, vegetables, and dried insects. Is it also best to keep a small fish tank with rosy reds minnows on hand....and "stock up" or just get a dozen and put them in and let her eat them whenever?

Posted:
Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:28 am
by Vtolds
I have had it suggested to me to buy large amount of them and freeze them to get rid of parasites and feed them a few every once and a while. I guess they dont really care if they are dead and previously frozen. I had the same question a few weeks ago when my RES gobbled up 6 Rosie Reds in a matter of 5 minutes or so.

Posted:
Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:38 pm
by megcornell
Rosy reds make a wonderful treat about once a month. Feeding them too often can lead to shell issues from the turtle having too much protein.

Posted:
Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:33 am
by ACF&RESLOVER
I'm not sure that freezing them is such a good idea. A vet once told me that frozen food tends to lose all the vitamins.

Posted:
Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:44 pm
by Vtolds
Its not really about the Vitamins, its more about just giving them a treat like shrimp or tuna.