Page 1 of 1

Crickets? and update on his progress and antics

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:47 pm
by raverqueenage
So I found out what my Hurley's weekness is...


CRICKETS!


Oh my bageezus! He didn't even hesitate. I threw one dead one in the tank and he FLEW over to it and tore into it like it was his last meal. So I threw in a live one...even more enthused!

Now, is it ok to give him a couple crickets every now and again? He is a recent adoptee, never was fed greens so he mainly uses them as landing pads...he is weird, he LOVES carrot, and eats his pellets with no problem.

Can I feed him other kinds of bugs for TREATS?Like once or twice a month?

Oh and he is a piglet with the carrot. How much is toooo much? We dropped in a larger piece of carrot (as a toy not thinking anything would happen) and he actually bites down then pushes it away so he can get a big chunk in his mouth (smart guy). Should I be worried? We took it out once we saw him do that a couple times and just went back to shredded pieces in a clip...

We are learning as we go and so far I think we are doing great. He gets out of the tank for about 45 minutes a day to dry off, stretch the legs, and see new things. We have a UVB bulb and basking bulb, plenty of water to swim in, a bubbler that he adores. Piece of tank decor he can move around and perch on. No gravel on the bottom except for whats in some tupperwear holding down a plant he likes and to cover the bubbler. There is a heater in there we use a fabulousy awesome canister filter. Lights go on at 6am and off at about 8-9pm.

I just want him healthy. Thanks for reading.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:59 pm
by jtjordan
video?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:00 pm
by grey goose
My kids love crickets too! I'd avoid any garden bugs or crickets, parasites and pesticides. I tried those crickets in a can, they loved them but they are pretty nasty to handle, cooked in their own juices.....
Flukers makes freeze dried crickets that are available at most pet stores. They are a bit pricey, but they last forever and the turts love them. Just soak them in water for a minute or so and serve. Mine get them every three weeks to a month, mostly when I have to clean their tank. Don't overdo it, they are loaded with protein and not much else.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:03 pm
by grey goose
Once a week with carrots....they have a lot of sugar and will give him the runs if he gets it too often.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:05 pm
by raverqueenage
grey goose wrote:Once a week with carrots....they have a lot of sugar and will give him the runs if he gets it too often.


Thats good to know, thanks! I don't want him to have belly aches. Ugh, I can only imagine.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:06 pm
by raverqueenage
jtjordan wrote:video?

Haha, we will take a video just for you...but not till we get more crickets. LOL!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:08 pm
by raverqueenage
grey goose wrote:My kids love crickets too! I'd avoid any garden bugs or crickets, parasites and pesticides. I tried those crickets in a can, they loved them but they are pretty nasty to handle, cooked in their own juices.....
Flukers makes freeze dried crickets that are available at most pet stores. They are a bit pricey, but they last forever and the turts love them. Just soak them in water for a minute or so and serve. Mine get them every three weeks to a month, mostly when I have to clean their tank. Don't overdo it, they are loaded with protein and not much else.

I think we will go ahead and get some freeze dried then. I have a crested gecko who eats live ones so I will always have a live supply of them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:49 pm
by SpotsMama
There was a duplicate of this topic in the Indoor Habitat forum which has been deleted. I moved the one reply from The ComputerGremlin to the deleted topic here:


TheComputerGremlin



Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 183
Location: Albany, NY
Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:44 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as you realize how much protein each bug/fish contains, you can give him them about once a month. I'd guess, depending on the size of the crickets, you might be able to give one every two weeks if they are smallish. As for carrot, I suppose too much can be given, if they are like most animals, they could start turning a little orange if overfed. I think most people give something like a baby carrot once a week? It would depend on his size, but I know I've read that people give them whole baby carrots when they are bigger.
_________________
JAX
-----
1 RES - 3" long - Mikey
2 cats - Mysti and Molly
1 zombie betta fish
-----
Michelangelo: "Hey, I've been training - Since you left, my video game scores have, like, doubled."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:56 pm
by SpotsMama
Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:42 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the carrot, try peeling long thin slices with a vegetable peeler for him. To me, that would reduce the risk of choking for a real enthusiatic turtle.