Page 1 of 2
Sweet potato and other foods HELP

Posted:
Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:25 am
by jacqui
Hi everyone!
I have what might seem like an odd request....
I live in New Zealand and almost everything here (food) has a different name!
Would ayone be able to post pics of the things you feed your turtles? Especially sweet potato, and lettuce, other veges etc Stuff you find in the garden too
Thanks in advance

Posted:
Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:47 am
by Nettle
Romaine:
Green Leaf Lettuce:
Red Leaf Lettuce:
Turnip Greens:
Sweet Potatoes:
Hope this helps! (Sorry about the size differences)

Posted:
Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:28 am
by jacqui
Thanks SOOOO much! Yes I can buy all that stuff at the local shops but under different names. LOL
I really appreciate you taking the time - cheers

Posted:
Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:43 am
by TheComputerGremlin
You know, these kind of pictures would be good to put under the sticky of both what to and what not to feed. It'd also be helpful for anyone who lives in a different country to write out the list in their language, that way it's more helpful to all.

Posted:
Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:16 am
by snazzy
This is SOOO helpful - we have different names here too. I started feeding my turtles this week what I thought was red leaf lettuce and now I know it is not. Now I think it might be red-leafed spinach which I know is a no-no - I will cut it out until I know for sure.

Posted:
Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:07 am
by octpusgirl8
Red leaf lettuce can vary quite a bit in appearance, it's frequently not as red as it is in the picture above. Can you put up a picture if what you thought was the red leaf lettuce?

Posted:
Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:21 pm
by snazzy
Oh, I'd love too! I took a pic and everything but I can't figure out how to get the darn thing to post. I tried the Img button and just copy/paste - but it seems to only copy/paste the name of the file rather than the actual picture.
How do you post pics?

Posted:
Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:53 pm
by octpusgirl8
Here are some directions:
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1811
You'll have to upload them to a image hosting site like photobucket. You have to create an account, but it's free and very easy so don't worry.

Posted:
Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:18 pm
by snazzy
Thanks! sorry for being such a newbie. Here is the pic - is it spinach?:


Posted:
Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:32 pm
by kevin
I'm not sure what that is, but I'm sure someone else will. I know it's not red leaf lettuce though.

Posted:
Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:04 pm
by Nettle
I don't think it's red spinach. Could you post a picture of the entire leaf flat against a surface?

Posted:
Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:56 pm
by TheComputerGremlin
It looks really close to this stuff I found online called Bull's Blood.
Looks like it's part of the beet family. A better picture might help with identification.

Posted:
Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:33 pm
by snazzy
Here is another picture. I am not sure it is any better - there was no beet looking thing at the bottom - but that doesn't mean that it wasn't cut off at the grocery before I purchased it. Next time I go to the store I will check to see its name too in case someone out there speaks whatever language it is listed in - that might help.


Posted:
Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:08 pm
by Nettle
I think it just might be spinach. I'm used to seeing red spinach with the red in the middle:
Just to be safe I wouldn't feed it to them.
Here's a great pic I found of various baby greens:
(I don't know if chard is ok for turtles)

Posted:
Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:25 pm
by snazzy
Thanks for the pics. It is either spinach or chard then. Does anyone know if chard is ok or does it inhibit calcium too?