Page 1 of 1

:( My hungry turtle...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:04 pm
by hoojib88
My baby turtle Smee has lost his appetite... I started feeding him outside the tank because captain pockets would eat ALL the pellets... whatta piggy... Anyway, in the beginning Smee was doing GREAT!! He would gobble up all five of his pellets super fast, he'd poop in the little tank, and everything I was so proud.. But the the past week he has only ate 4 pellets.. The tank temperature is between 75 and 78ish. And when I put water in the outside tank I make sure the water is slightly warm and do everything as before but still he didn't eat for 4 days and 3 out 5 yesterday and only half a pellet today. I don't know what to do... :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:51 pm
by xfueledbykatie
try the "turtle jello shots". one of my turtles had a loss of appetite and so i tried makign those. instead of using cool water i tried using tuna water and it was amazing. they're little pigs again :]

GOOD LUCK!!.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:57 pm
by Sk8gal
Maybe you should feed Captain Pongo outside the tank.

Cute names btw :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:09 pm
by untsmurf
You shouldn't use new water in the feeding bowl. Just get some water out of the tank. The change in temperature caused by using tap water can stress out the turtle and result in a loss of appetite.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:40 pm
by hoojib88
well i used water from the tank the first few times but i figured that defeated the purpose of feeding him outside of the tank, since i'd just pour the same water back in because it would drop the level of my tank. the only weird thing is that I fed him for two weeks outside of the tank with treated tap water. It was not until this past week that he's decided to stop.. also when i feed him in the tank he doesn't ever look up... he just hangs out on the bottom so i usually hand feed him. Ugh Smee needs to learn...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:26 am
by LeslieMW
hahaha i just can't get over your pets names..i love them!!

are there any other weird symtoms?
my little baby wouldn't eat because the water was too cold and he didn't have a basking light.

maybe he is just sick of pellets? my turt stopped eating pellets just cause he needed some variety..maybe try some other food?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:58 am
by hoojib88
I'm going to make turtle jello!! :) I'm super excited, because I found skull and cross bone ice cube trays!! I can't wait until thursday!