Page 1 of 1

How long??

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:41 pm
by desertcoyote93
How long can a baby RES go without eating? Can they eat those little weekend feeders that look like shells?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:03 pm
by ScrewZoo
They can go a looong time, if your out for the weekend im sure theyll be fine... how long will you not be able to feed em?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:11 pm
by desertcoyote93
Every other weekend I have to visit with my stepbrother. We leave on Thursday afternoon and get back sunday afternoon. I was worried because I read that baby RES have to be fed daily.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:14 pm
by ScrewZoo
Yeah if its a routine thing I dont think thatll work.. try looking into an auto feeder? their made for fish flakes but i heard on here some people used them with pellets.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:16 pm
by desertcoyote93
So a baby RES can survive a weekend without food? I used to use these long term feeders that look like sea shells that slowly break off peices that my frogs would eat. would that work for the turtle?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:17 pm
by ScrewZoo
Its not turtle food is it, but yeah they can easily go a weekend.. Ive seen people with turtles in bad setups that never ate their whole lives, lasted a year til they died.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:09 pm
by steve
desertcoyote93, what is the tank like and the temps? What's the diet like?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:11 am
by zoologist
those little sea shells are not suitable for turtle consumption. go and buy one of the mechanical automatic feeders, the one where you load in the food at the beginning of the trip and the machine despenseses (totally cant spell today) it accordingly.

also make sure your lamps are on timers.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:08 am
by desertcoyote93
steve wrote:desertcoyote93, what is the tank like and the temps? What's the diet like?


I have him in a 10 gallon tank for now, and I will be transferring him into a much bigger tank as soon as he outgrows his current tank. I might be getting a heater for the water, I feed him brine shrimp, kitten kibble (not often), little green peices of dog kibble (they contain veggies) and today I am going to get him some turtle food from the pet store. He hasnt seemed to have eaten any of the dog kibble but he likes the kitten kibble. He really loves to chase after the brine shrimp. If I have enough money I might get an auto feeder.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:10 am
by desertcoyote93
I am also getting one of those fish that clean the tank by sucking to the side of the tank.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:38 am
by Sassamo
Pleco's, the sucker fish usually end up as a nice tasty snack. So I wouldn't get one.
Dog and cat food is made for dogs and cats. Turtles have very different dietary needs. Right now he mainly needs turtle pellets. What size is he? Do you have a uvb and heat light? Filter? Basking area where he can dry off?