Page 1 of 2

Accidentally won ebay item

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:53 pm
by drillr00
So I went on ebay looking for anacharis since my turtles love it so much. I usually pay $3 for 5-6 strands at the pet store but it gets expensive.

Anyways, I found a listing for 200 anacharis strands for $27.50 + 12.50 S.H.

There's an option where you can offer a price and so I figured I'd offer $20 since I thought it might have been too low and he wouldn't have accepted the offer. It turns out he accepted my offer so I paid $32.50 total compared to ~ $120 for the same amount at a pet store.

I hope they turn out good. He has 100% rating.

Anyone have similar "accidental" buy?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:09 am
by danny123
WOW!! i've never bought anything on EBAY but you probably wont be buying anacharis for a while... lol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:21 am
by joeybsmooth
Do they call anacharis something different at the pet stores. I have something that looks like it, but the name of the plant begins with F.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:04 am
by danny123
i don't think you have anacharis because the scientific names are Elodea or Egeria Densa.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:15 pm
by steve
I've made some regrettable ebay purchases. Anacharis doesn't need much care, so you should be set for a couple of years (with the appropriate snail control) :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:18 am
by ashipyor
Where are you storing it? I saw that you could buy quite a bit on ebay but I wasn't sure how long it lasts/how to take care of it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:42 am
by drillr00
I plan on growing/storing it in my spare 29 gallon tank. I'll put some feeder gold fish in there too to help add some nitrogenous waste and CO2.

One of my turtles doesn't like anacharis so he leaves it and uses it to float on. I simply let it grow without giving any care to it and it seemed to grow really well by absorbing his waste products. It actually kept the tank cleaner I think.

From most websites I've read it's a fairly low maintenance plant that grows well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:42 pm
by drillr00
Image

Came today :) Just cleaning them up and trying to remove as many snails as I can. I hear a clown loach could take care of the snail problem so I might add one into the tank along with some minows.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:33 pm
by marisa
Looks like you got some nice, healthy-looking strands there. :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:12 pm
by lunabebe4
I can never find the right plants at the stores. I can find amazon sword but none of this. How often should I be feeding fresh plants on top of her normal lettuce?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:58 pm
by Caphits
I have heard that anacharis is illegal in the US.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:32 pm
by lunabebe4
Oh maybe why I can't find it.... is amazon sword still ok?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:01 am
by drillr00
Cut two of the egg crates and offset them so that there are "4 holes" inside the original hole when looking straight down....hope that makes sense.
Image

Lined the outside perimeter and put some tiny ones up front. Each plant basically had its own hole.

Image

Image

I wish you guys could see how many bubbles are coming off all these plants! I'm going to add some fish soon so I'm sure they'll enjoy it.
Image

As for the anacharis being illegal, it's only illegal in certain states (Vermont, Connecticut, Maine, New Hampshire, Oregon, Washington and South Carolina) which might explain why you can't find it. I believe I read on here that amazon sword was ok but some turtles won't like it. Do a search on here to double check that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:12 am
by lunabebe4
Well yup it's illegal in my state. I live in Washington. Anyone know why a aquatic plant is illegal???!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:07 am
by ilikeadabox
Clown loaches are neat animals but beware if keeping it with other fish because they are HIGHLY susceptible to ICK. The also have these "spines" they can retract and push out from underneath their eyes and if your turtle was to swallow it I would fear the worst, they were 10$ at my local Petsmart, and another thing about loaches (lol) is that If they get sick you must treat them with half dosed medicine because of their soft skin sorry If you already know this but mine died from ICK and I wanted to share some information.