Page 1 of 1

Is this dandelion ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:47 pm
by Mauk
Hi everyone, I'm trying to get even more things in my turtles diet after someone pointed out he might have an improper diet, i had been rotating romaine, red leaf and green leaf lettuce and also cuttlebone is alwyas available as well. Now I have started to offer sweet potato and grapes once a week. Now i'm thinking about offering dandelion in the mix of greens but want to make sure the stuff selling at the market was really it as someone said it could be something that looks similar.

here is the pic.. real deal?

Image

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:23 pm
by Caphits
I think it might be.

Does it say dandelion? or something else?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:25 pm
by Mauk
That's what it say, Little Bear Dandelion. I was worried cause someone said it could be Italian something ah can't remember and is sometimes called dandelion at the stores cause it looks similar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:28 pm
by Mauk
chicories, that's what i think it said before.. is it safe for turtles?

http://www.ladybugletter.com/?p=75

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:29 pm
by Caphits
I would say go for it. They do pretty much look like dandelion. I dont think there are that many varieties of them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:51 pm
by EmperorTunaFish
It's dandelion. It's the same stuff I buy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:09 pm
by marisa
I buy Little Bear Dandelions sometimes. Does it say they're from Texas? The L.B. leaves I buy have a long stalk and not that much leaf on them; they look similar to those.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:36 pm
by Mauk
Yup I think these are the same marisa, thanks everyone for responding. I am going to get this in my feeding rotation now that I know.. I just finished building an ATBA with eggcrates and man my craftsmanship sucks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:26 pm
by bover907
If you know your yard, or local field hasn't been fertilized or treated with pesticides, is there any problem with just picking the dandilion leaves that mother nature provides for free?

Weed the garden and feed the RES at the same time, lol.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:40 am
by untsmurf
Where did you get them from, what store I mean?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:59 am
by X-Factor
OP is from the Markham/Toronto, Ontario area therefore just about every big chain grocery store like Loblaws, T&T, Food Basics, and Dominion (metro) will have them in the produce department.

Dandelion is an item that is not in high demand and generally does not sell very well. Finding it in smaller stores depeneding on your area might be a challenge.