Page 1 of 1

My baby turtles aren't eating, help!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:19 pm
by turtlesayshello
It's been 4 days since I got my 3 baby turtles (2 are RES and one is unknown...all have shells around 1" to 1.25" long). I'm getting worried because I don't think they're eating. Everyday I've been filling the container with water (very shallow) and dropping around six food pellets inside. Whenever I check, the food is still there...sometimes it's even dissolved in the water. The turtles seem OK--they sleep at night and walk around during the day.

I'm completely new at raising turtles so any help would be appreciated. Also, I read the guides on this site on what to feed, like green veggies, but aren't food pellets the easiest to feed?

Thanks again! My cute turtles all say "hello"! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:12 pm
by untsmurf
First off, read through the main site, that should help you learn a lot of the basics. Secondly, new turtles need some time to adjust before they regain their appetite. They can go hungry for a while without any side effects. Once it's been a while (i.e. a week and a half to two weeks) without any food you can start offering other things. They usually respond better to things like tuna or worms.

Here's the link to the main site:
http://www.redearslider.com/index_basic_care.html

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:13 pm
by blackforces get you
if you just got them, its kind of usual for them not to eat. i had the same problem. wait a few more days and then try to feed. maybe their still feeding on their yolk from when they hatched from their egg. just give it a little more time. if it doesn't eat in about a week then theres a problem

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:47 pm
by Diamondbacks4Life
You should try and put a worm in or tried the dried shrimp. Both these items are bright colors being pink and orange and usually attract the attention of turtles compared to pellets especially the worm cause its alive.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:53 pm
by tammi
What's your tank set up?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:46 pm
by MustLoveTurtles
My Gustave is also a young turtle, at first the tiny pellets from the pet stand were not doing it for him. Try squash, extremely small pieces of squash- I offered that to him as my last effort to find something by myself to appease him. It worked. Also, I would suggest getting a variety pack of turtle food- that includes krill and baby brine shrimp- my turtle seems to like that as well as squash.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:55 pm
by tammi
My new hatchling goes nuts for meal worms and earthworms.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:00 am
by channbear
hello,i also have the same problem... i'm really getting worried of my RES... turtlesayshello, does your turtle eat a lot now?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:35 am
by gaevwa
I've experienced this one with my 2 hatchlings during the first 3 days I have them. But at the fourth day, one of my RES started munching the turtle food I've given. After a day or two, the other RES soon followed. It's pretty normal to be concerned at this point but as what untsmurf said, reading through the main site will help you a lot.. Hope this helps.. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:42 pm
by turtlesayshello
Hey everyone! Thanks for the replies! =)

A few days after I made the initial post, my turtles began eating. One is especially voracious--he even eats from my hand lol. However one RES doesn't seem to eat as much as the others. He seems shy and the others get the food before he can. Poor turtle. Anything I can do to help him?

I tried mostly Reptomin pellets and a bit of cooked shrimp. I haven't gotten my hands on worms yet, but I'll try later.

Oh btw my turtles are in a plastic storage container with a bit of water.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:12 am
by wiccabrat
What's a bit of water? Do they have a filter, heater, UVB light, basking spot? Babies get sick very easy and without the right set up you're likely to lose them all. If one isn't eating because of the other 2 you need to feed him separately.