Lettuce Eating

Posted:
Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:08 pm
by tanasha93
What kind of lettuce is the best to feed my turtle?


Posted:
Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:50 pm
by marisa
Red leaf lettuce is supposedly a bit better than romaine nutritionally. But iceberg lettuce is a no-no (basically water).
Try doing some reading on what foods are good to give your turtle.


Posted:
Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:23 pm
by tanasha93
Sorry to get back to you so late. I tried romaine and he doesn't like. I also tried peaches, tomatoes, apples, and cucumber. Sheldon really likes his tutle pellets and the goldfish that I give him. He really really likes the goldfish he scarfs them right up, one time he ate 8 feeder goldfish in about 10 minutes so now I give them to him in moderation.

Posted:
Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:24 pm
by untsmurf
You shouldn't offer goldfish at all. They are really fatty and don't provide much nutrition for your turtle. When you offer live fish, offer rosy reds instead. They're only 10-12 cents a fish at most pet stores.
Also, i don't know how large your turtle is, but some hatchlings really don't like to eat their greens, and greens aren't actually required until they reach 4'' (about one year of age). If your turtle isn't a hatchling, keep offering different greens. Try dandelion greens, red or green leaf lettuce, or turnip greens. You could also try starting them on other veggies/fruits like carrots, squash, sweet potato, or blue berries those are pretty tasty and might get them used to eating things other than pellets. Also, try getting a veggie clip, you can find them at pet stores. You can clip your veggies to the inside of your tank and leave them there for your turtle to inspect.
If all that doesn't work, try the veggie jell-o shots. People have had success with those.

Posted:
Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:05 am
by tanasha93
Ok thanks the goldfish are just a treat 1 a month. What about guppies. I have a lot of those and they multiply like rabbits.

Posted:
Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:34 am
by untsmurf
Goldfish shouldn't really be offered at all. If you
need to offer them, it should be no more than once a month. Guppies are okay to feed though, they're just expensive for a feeder. You can give those every few weeks or so, as long as your turtle's diet is balanced and it's eating its greens. If not, then you should restrict them as well.
I had fancy guppies for a while and they multiplied quite a bit. My goldfish actually ate the babies though, so I didn't have to worry about it
