Page 1 of 1

Hatchling/Non Hatchling & Feeding Frequency?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:28 am
by gwennie
I have a 5-6 month old RES and currently he (at least we're hoping he's a he!) gets fed everyday with greens and either blood worms, pellets, a frozen veggie/fish mixture that's available here or ramshorn snails I breed. I know I shouldn't overfeed him on protein because it can lead to pyramiding. I'm quite happy that he's not a picky eater and will try anything I've thrown at him and I hope to keep him that way if I can help it.

I'm wondering when I can start weaning him off so much protein and onto a more veggie-based diet?

Thoughts/opinions on this? I'm guessing he's still listed as a hatchling right now, yes?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:57 am
by Kemul
Well, hatchling is usually for turtle under 1 year old or shell length less than 4" if
kept healthily since birth.

Pellets daily is preferrable for hatchlings. Recommended brand would be Reptomin
or Mazuri. Amount daily is as much as would fit inside the head if it were hollow,
excluding the neck. The bloodworm, etc should be considered as treats only,
maybe once every 2 weeks or once every month.

At 5-6 months old, you can try offering veggies along with pellets. If the turtle eats
the veggies, good. If not, it should start getting acquainted. Usually the daily
amount of veggies per day is as large as the shell. But overfeeding veggies is
much less harmful than overfeeding pellets/protein. Diarrhea is the only effect.

Lastly, don't give up if you see your turtle begging. Good luck! :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:10 pm
by gwennie
Thanks for the lovely reply ^^

I just have one question though - Is that because the nutritional content of the pellets is better than that of the blood worms?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:12 pm
by worldpeace
The content of the pellets is more balanced, whereas blood worms are 100% protein.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:19 pm
by gwennie
I'll tell the boyfriend that bloodworms are only as a treat then xD

Thank you both very much :)

I've never read anywhere at what point to start offering them more veggies than not veggies in relation to size/age.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:10 pm
by bigG
Too much protein may cause pyramiding of the shell. I fed my female too much protein and her shell just started pyramiding until I decreased the protein and increased the veggies/fruits.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:03 pm
by Kemul
gwennie wrote:I've never read anywhere at what point to start offering them more veggies than not veggies in relation to size/age.


From what I've read, that would be one year old, or 4" as I've written previously.
At that point, we should start decreasing the pellets to headsize every 2 days. If
we still want to feed daily, then just half-headsize every day. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:36 am
by xstefanx
Kemul wrote:Usually the daily
amount of veggies per day is as large as the shell.


Is this hollow shell like the pellets/head? Turtle will be here in a few hours so just want to check on this.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:08 am
by Kemul
xstefanx,

Since it's quite alright for a turtle to over-eat veggies, we can only approximate
how much to give. Shell size means the area, not volume. Take a piece of lettuce
for example and measure approximately the amount that can cover the shell.
:)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:25 am
by xstefanx
Awesome, thats what I figured but wanted to make sure. Thanks