Page 1 of 1

Water Lettuce?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:19 pm
by denvergrey
Hello,

My mother-in-law has a pond (no fish) and fills it with water lettuce among other plants. She was cutting them back and gave me some for Franklin and Harriett.

My question is how much should I give them? They are only about 1 1/2 inches long and when I put it in, they went crazy. Should I take it out after a few minutes? Will it make them sick? The plant was small - perhaps about 2 inches in diameter...

Thanks

Christina

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:38 pm
by Kemul
I think they're fine for turtles. It's alright to put any amount in your tank. You're
lucky if you can grow water lettuce with turtles. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:05 pm
by robind
The more the better. The plants will help remove turtle poo from the water, and I think my turtle really likes the extra privacy they afford her.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:39 pm
by denvergrey
Thanks so much for the quick reply.

As they eat one up, I just put in another. They love to use it as a floating pad when they aren't chasing it in the tank!